1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Re: GEE STEVE!!

Ronny...The answer is NO..... The reason the steering angles look different on the overlapped pix is they ARE different....... The neck angle of the frame controls the steering angle (rake)...
What changes when you put 500/550 trees on a 450 is the "trail"
The forks are being held at the same angle as the 450 trees hold them, but the offset (projection forward from the stem) is less......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

Bob...I'll keep my eyes open for a set....Heaven help us if the 350 and 360 riders find out they'll bolt on their bikes too and hold larger diameter (35mm) forks instead of their wimpy stock 33mm's......LMAO!

·
Registered
275 Posts

66Sprint said:
Bob...I'll keep my eyes open for a set....Heaven help us if the 350 and 360 riders find out they'll bolt on their bikes too and hold larger diameter (35mm) forks instead of their wimpy stock 33mm's......LMAO!

HEY!!
Keep that quiet!! :shock:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

I was whispering......except when I laughed.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
670 Posts

66Sprint said:
REALLY??

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

Really..... But so will DOHC 450 trees, 650/4 (standard, not custom)trees and several others.......Of course the ultimates are 35mm Ceriani racing forks....

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

66Sprint said:
Ronny...The answer is NO..... The reason the steering angles look different on the overlapped pix is they ARE different....... The neck angle of the frame controls the steering angle (rake)...
What changes when you put 500/550 trees on a 450 is the "trail"
The forks are being held at the same angle as the 450 trees hold them, but the offset (projection forward from the stem) is less......
Ah, I see. Thanks Steve for your patience with all my curious questions.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

Everybody learns when something gets explained....Even the guy doing the explaining...
Your overlapped pic REALLY shows how much "steeper' the 450 rake is to begin with (quicker, more nimble steering) while the (touring) 500/550 is more laid out for higher speed stability and comfort......(also a good view of how close in length the forks and wheelbases are since the 'scale' is exact because the bikes actully run the same front wheel assembly)

IF you adjust the "merge' so the necks (stems) overlap and the 550 forks are parallel to the steeper 450 ones you'll see that installing the 550 trees makes an even shorter wheelbase 450 (even more nimble, but less stable...Perfect on a racer!)

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts

66Sprint said:
Heaven help us if the 350 and 360 riders find out they'll bolt on their bikes too and hold larger diameter (35mm) forks instead of their wimpy stock 33mm's......LMAO!

Oi !! I heard that..... :cool:

·
Registered
636 Posts

just to clarify, the 500/550 trees that have a different offset from the 450 are the "4's" right? the 500 twin has the same geometry triples as the 450?

hope so! since i have a 500 twin top triple and a 450 twin lower triple! think i would have had some trouble if they were different.... thanks!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yep, 500T an 450 share identical tree geometry......
500/4 (550/4) are the reduced offset trees.... early 650/4 tree geometry is the same as the 450/500T and can be swapped (IF you don't mind or you want rigid bar mounts)

Sorry about the hi-jack Bob....Perhaps a more computer astute Mod can split this "tree discussion" section out..... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts