Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a Superhawk that I’m working to get back on the road. It’s a complete mix of parts as the bike was a mess when I acquired it. Here’s my question, I have to replace the steering stem due to prior collision damage. I have the type 1 forks with the steel lowers. The steering stem I picked up seems to be one of the later type as the area for the pinch bolt appears different. Is the later steering stem incompatible with the Type 1 forks? I could not get the tubes to freely slide into the stem. It measures slightly smaller in diameter... Maybe 1 mm or 2.

I’ve ordered another steering stem online and hope this resolves my issue...

·
Sensei
26,354 Posts
Type 1 or Type 2 refers to the engine ........ Type 1 is a 180 degree crankshaft version, Type 2 is a 360 degree crank model......

·
Registered
513 Posts
In the CB77 community, the forks with steel lowers are referred to as Type 1, and the forks with aluminum lowers are referred to as Type 2. The Type 1 (steel) forks are 35mm in diameter, and the Type 2 forks are 33mm. They do require different triple trees, both upper and lower. There are also 38 mm forks, but those are only found on the 1961 and some 1962 bikes. Those also have different mounting for the steering damper assembly.

The different triples can be identified by looking at the area where the fork tubes clamp into the triple. The slots are different where the pinch bolts are located.

Type 1:
IMG_1674.jpg

Type 2:
IMG_1675.jpg

·
Sensei
26,354 Posts
I stand corrected........I was only familiar with that nomenclature referring to crank throw positioning...... Learned something new today...:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pemdoc. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I’ve sourced another early type stem and trust this will resolve the issue. Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I stand corrected........I was only familiar with that nomenclature referring to crank throw positioning...... Learned something new today...:D
I didn't know that bit of 305 esoterica either, Steve.......

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks Pemdoc. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I’ve sourced another early type stem and trust this will resolve the issue. Appreciate your help!
Glad to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts