Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang

I'm gonna strip my SL down next week with the intention of taking the frame and associated bits to be powdercoated. Before I do, I need to yank out all of the various bearings and bushes out, which won't be too much of a problem . . .

. . . but I wanna get the steering stem lock out without screwing it up. I've knackered one before trying the same thing on another bike, so before I make the same mistake again, can one (or some) of you give me a some idea how to remove the lock with the minimum of fuss/damage?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
the-chauffeur said:
Gang

I'm gonna strip my SL down next week with the intention of taking the frame and associated bits to be powdercoated. Before I do, I need to yank out all of the various bearings and bushes out, which won't be too much of a problem . . .

. . . but I wanna get the steering stem lock out without screwing it up. I've knackered one before trying the same thing on another bike, so before I make the same mistake again, can one (or some) of you give me a some idea how to remove the lock with the minimum of fuss/damage?

Thanks.
Remove the little plastic cover, insert the key, turn it and pull out the lock - no big deal.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill

I think I over-complicated it last time because I didn't have the key . . .

Which reminds me. Is the ignition key likely to fit the stem lock? (I have a strange feeling it won't).

Normally I'd check, but the bike doesn't get here until Wednesday.

Neil

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think I can safely say yes, both locks use the same key and they will have the same ID numbers on the face of the cylinder.

And a big thanks for explaining how to remove the darned cylinder. Dufus me didn't think of insterting and turning the key as critical to the process :?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If the ignition lock is the same as the steering lock (original) then the key will fit and remove it.

Beat to the post.. :p

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If nothing's been replaced the same key should fit all the locks on the bike.

By the way, welcome to the group. Here's some good information to help get you started.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3797

1 - 6 of 6 Posts