Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1973 CL350

Second task of the day was to drill out the old steering lock while the front forks were off/out of the way.

Year ago I bought a new ignition that came with a steering lock. The steering lock will insert and I can turn it into the first position and remove the key. Problem is that it will not insert / push deep enough to engage the second detent to lock the column.

Maybe wrong lock cylinder? Seems like that the same cylinder was used for multiple years and models.

Seems like the lock won't set deep enough to engage the second detent. I've cleaned and lubed everything but can't seem to figure this one out-

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm guessing a picture of the neck on the frame would show that the steering stop has been bent upward from a handlebar-slamming-to-the-stop crash and the lock is working as it should, but the part it's supposed to hit to lock the forks is not where it should be... I've seen it before, right here

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures are always helpful, I'll have to learn quit posting them sideways.

The cylinder will set in the barrel in the unlocked position and I can remove the key. I can not push the lock deep enough to engage the lock-

First one shows how far the lock extends out of the barrel. I can't get the lock in far enough to catch the second detent to remove the key in the locked position.
IMG_0497.jpg

These two are pictures of the steering stop.
IMG_0495.jpg
IMG_0496.jpg

I know this isn't a fool proof theft deterrent, but would like to make it inconvenient for the dishonest-

Thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's tough to tell from the picture but the steering stop doesn't look to have been re-welded or bent (though the weld looks a bit sketchy, but it could just be slag from the factory, it happens). Since you now mention that the lock pin doesn't go all the way in so that you can turn the cylinder to the lock position to remove the key, I'd suggest taking the lock out of the lower clamp and running a round file through the opening - it looks like some silver-colored stuff is around the upper part of the opening where the pin extended through the hole in the lower clamp, possibly impeding the movement fully

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the exact problem, a little burr from when I was drilling out the old lock. Funny how the problem is staring right at you but don't see it. Good eyes!!!

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts