Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of steering bearings for my 1980 cm400.
Its a set from Pyramid parts.
2x bearing (upper and lower)
2 x dustseal
1 washer
1 tube of grease.

Allready got the shells in the frame. The top one sticks out a bit.

The washer is 4mm thick.
I think it goes on 1st? (on the triple tree)
The o.d of the ring is too big. It wil hit the neck, it will not go in.
So i quess i need to turn it down to a smaller o.d. Or i will need to search another ring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can i test it, i have to press the bearing on.
If it will not fit, how do i get the bearing off and keep it re-usable? I think the bearing will get broken if i get it of.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Use a press plate and a press toremove the bearing. That way it will not be damaged. Put it together without the washer, if it turns without binding, or hitting anything, you are good to go. I myself have never used a washer when installing any of these kits.
TOOLS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is...if I eyeball it and use a caliper I can measure that the bottom of the neck wil hit the tree.
With the Bearing in place and dustseal on it...there is a 3mm edge from the neck left. So the 4mm spacer would be a good thing I guess.
Im gonna try it without the spacer, if it fails I have the tools for it at work.

Sorry for my kinda bad English.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Is the OD of your washer the same as the OD of the lower bearing race? If so place the washer above the lower race in the steering head.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
This is getting old, it's the third failure of Pyramid Parts in 3 weeks. The kit is wrong. You need the All Balls kit to solve this problem.

PS: I just sent an email to Pyramid about this

·
Registered
729 Posts
The bottom washer that is supplied with some of these taper roller steering head bearing kits is very poor being a "stamped" affair rather than a ground accurate one.

The top taper roller bearing "outer" does tend to "sit proud" of the headstock top and is a disappointment. An O ring tends to add resistance to the steering resulting in some "weaving" as you make your way down the road.

Water ingress into this "bearing system" spells ultimate ruin, even water ingress via the steering lock "lack of a cover", relatively easily and relatively efficiently cured by a stainless steel hinged via the rivet and washer cover, model dependent.

Most but not all bottom yokes can provide an easy mod ( no drilling of the frame needed ) or addition of a servicing grease nipple. New grease will add some slight resistance to the steering but that soon clears.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Pm me, I've got a lathe and may be able to make you a suitable washer for minimal cost.

Just specify dimensions needed, I'm guessing 50mm OD (1.968") x 30mm ID (1.18")
But what thickness? Is 4mm (0.157") needed in every case or does it vary?

I'd actually make up a few, I'm sure someone else will need one.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The All Balls kit comes with 2 different thickness washers, only one used. I throw the extra into the junk drawer so I don't know which is which in there since there's been this model and 350's done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts