Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't. I have a shelf full of chemicals - cleaners, polishes, etc. But, I read that the old oxidized, faded aluminum will clean up really well with just steel wool and WD-40... had to try it.

Scotch Brite, 00 steel wool, 000 steel wool - all dampened with WD-40

Before
Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.48.13 PM.jpg

After
Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 1.47.17 PM.jpg

also pulled the fender (going back on) and painted the crusty wheels

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Not sure how "true" this is.. but I was told at a early age when using steel wool on a surface, there is a chance of "imbedding" steel/iron filings into your Surface / substraight.. in turn can cause rusting or faster oxidizing ..
anyone else heard of this??

·
Registered
581 Posts
It turned your rims black!:)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Not sure how "true" this is.. but I was told at a early age when using steel wool on a surface, there is a chance of "imbedding" steel/iron filings into your Surface / substraight.. in turn can cause rusting or faster oxidizing ..
Rob, this is true for the use of any abrasive. The specifications for aerospace applications are very strict on this topic. The abrasive should be matched to the base material.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Yes but mostly in reference to wood, the steel wool strands get caught in the grain.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I have found wadded up aluminum foil and wd40 will clean off surface rust well without the worry of making the problem worse. After that, just need to wipe down and coat with turtle wax for chrome. Keeps out the moisture in minor pits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is absolutely true. I've seen many beautiful stainless steel parts ruined by "cleaning" with steel wool. Carbon steel particles get embedded on/in the surface and they rust or oxidize, ruining a surface that would otherwise not rust. Brass wool or bronze wool should work just as well, without the carbon steel contamination.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are so many different grits available in scotch brite pads, my new fav is the "white" non abrasive cleaning pads that I get at my supply house, they work great on delicate surfaces, and my fave lube for cleaning is Rem Oil no matter which grit I am using, I only use WD40 when something has gotten wet, for heavy scrubbing CRC cutting oil is almost a foam and very sticky and "alumalube" is the best for aluminum alloys, some folks have asked me if I collect spray cans, lol, for any of you who tow trailers I keep a can of electronic cleaner in the truck and just spray both sides on the light connectors even before i plug them in, one more "have to have" product if you work or play in a marine environment is Alox or Oxy guard, that is a grease used to prevent corrosion on aluminum wire connections, it works great on copper connections spade or otherwise as well as and especially bayonet running light bulbs.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
755 Posts
More than once I ran into this problem when bluing guns. The steel wool would show up as brighter or darker specks. It can be a HUGE issue when used to finish gun stocks! It remains however a useful tool in the finishing arsenal. In regard to aluminum (one thing I have not used it on!) I would think the problem would be more like the wood scenario mentioned above. NOT a reason not to use it, only one to be aware of and alert to. ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
A red 3M scuff pad on a electric buzz sander makes short work of it (no oil) DSC00520.JPG DSC00538.JPG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if something like a claybar as a final step would remove any remnant iron particles - that's what it's supposed to do with paint.

And yeah - the wheels got some paint (after a ton of cleaning, sanding, priming... ). They were just too far gone to bring back.

v46Ujm7.jpg

Won't get me on the Concouse de Anything lawn... but, it'll do until I can justify new/rebuilt wheels

MILjLI8.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts