Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm brand new to the forum and a new owner of a 1980 cb400t hawk. I'm chasing the no spark situation... so far I have a new CDI unit, coil, plugs wires, ignition switch, battery. Still no spark. So I'm starting off at square one. The first test I'm doing is the stator...

I read in the manual to test continuity between the yellow wires. It says if there is any continuity between the yellow wires and ground that the stator is shot. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
12.4 after cranking it for a few. I checked for continuity between the three yellow wires out of the stator and ground. And it showed to be true. I did all the ohm checks pink to green 141, blue white 86
brown lt blue 115. You guys agree that the stator needs to be pulled?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The CDI is new from the magician. I went through the entire harness cleaning and checking connections. I did get a new coil but it's a 5ohm. Not too sure if that would cause any problems. I'm getting really close to figuring this bad boy out. Just was a little disappointed to find that the yellow stator wires had continuity to ground. Trying to wrap my head around that one. I really appreciate you guys responding on here. Been kind of discouraging chasing down this problem and hunting online for solutions. The only thing I really haven't replaced is the rectifier and kill switch.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The yellow wires from the stator only recharge the battery; the other wires from the stator to the CDI trigger the spark.
The yellow wires should not connect to ground when unplugged from the rectifier/regulator though. That could mean there is other damage that affects the other functions of the stator.
Is this your wiring: http://www.caferacer.net/forum/atta...3246529-new-guy-cb400-hawk-t2-78-untitled.png
Too bad they don't show what the other wires to the stator do.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Moved to the SOHC Electrical section.
The Yellow wires are for the charging system, unrelated to the ignition system. The ignition shares the stator as a mounting unit for it's pieces.
Your tests say the stator is bad, I would replace the battery in your VOM and retest to be sure. You can use the stators from 1978 thru 1986 CM/CB 400/450 manual transmission models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is my diagram. So if the stator is bad will that not supply enough juice to the cdi for the coil?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Correct. The Blue and White connector is the CDI power circuit, Pink and Green is the advancer circuit, Lt.Blue and Brown is the base timing circuit. The coil gets it's power through the CDI unit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I should be able to put my meter on the Blue and White wires when cranking to see if I'm getting the right amount of juice from the stator to the CDI. What should that number be?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
That's an unknown number, a couple of members have tried getting reading there with mixed results. Nothing that can be relied on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts