Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all, I just did the dumbest thing. After removing the rotor and stator from the bike, I promptly put the stator back in the rotor for storage and instantly felt like an idiot. Is there anyway to remove the stator without risking demagnetizing the rotor or am I stuck replacing both of them? There are screws on the outside of the rotor (presumably holding the magnets), but I thought I'd ask before I make the situation worse.

Not that it matters, but it's a '80 Cm400T

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Leave it in the stator until you are ready to put things back together. That is the best way to preserve the magnetism, leaving it just laying around is a bad idea. New rotors are typically stored and shipped with an iron"keeper" piece around them. Also, never ever beat on that rotor with a hammer or drop it, that will weaken the magnetism.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I want to install it back on the bike, how do I physically overcome the pull of the magnets to separate the stator and secure it back onto the bike?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Wait, so your concern is just that the stator is stuck in the flywheel because of the magnetism?
I'm sure there's a way to get it out, with string or shoelace or something you can loop around it to pull it out?

Edit: just saw your reply. I'm sure there's a way to get it out. Post a pic for folks to offer up ideas.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Use two 3/8" extensions( female end) through the rotor holes and push it out. Once it moves a bit the magnetism gets less and you can remove by hand

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use two 3/8" extensions( female end) through the rotor holes and push it out. Once it moves a bit the magnetism gets less and you can remove by hand
I'll give this a shot. Do you think I could tap them with a mallet to assist? Or do you think that might damage the stator?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
NO hitting allowed! It'll damage the windings you're pushing against. Just insert the extensions, flip it over and push.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts