Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to posting to this forum but have used the helpful advice on it a lot lately. I have a 1975 CL360, after a carb clean and points and valve adjustment I got it running and took it for a lap, the battery was dead within 1/3 of a mile. The battery keeps dying after trying to kick the bike over with the Kickstarter unless it starts first or second kick also. I am on my 3rd battery now and I tried the kohler regulator rectifier mod, didn’t seem to help, I followed the instructions on this website for install. The problem I am having now is that for the past two days every time I connect the battery smoke comes out of the stator, I can clearly see it because I took the cover off to check, seems like it comes from the wires at the back of stator. I have a used replacement stator I can install but I don’t want to fry it too. I could also get a new regulator rectifier if needed. The smoke is concerning me though. I do need to note that the previous owner thought it would be a idea to jump the bike off with a car, not a good idea. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
You have a short somewhere. I would suggest taking the stator out and inspect the wiring carefully and make sure nothing is shorted to the engine case.

Are you sure you connected the Kohler correctly? Try swapping the AC leads

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I will start with checking the reg rect and work back from there, if the stator was smoking does that mean it is shot?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
More than likely one or more wires have melted from being shorted. If so I would replace those wires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thank you for the help, also just a side note the smoke was without the key on, and the handlebar switch on off, is it normal for power to go to the stator with everything off or is that another issue I should address

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The only way current can get to the stator, with the key off, is through the rectifier. Are you sure its wired correctly? The correct polarity?

Reactions: 76TWIN

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will check when I get home, that helps a lot to know where to start looking for the problem. I am still learning as this is my first stab at getting a bike up and running so thanks for the patience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys so much for the help, rechecked the regulator rectifier wiring and found a section of exposed wire soldered and taped it up. Also tried a different ground, not sure which worked but no smoke and my neutral light is back on when I turn the key. Will check stator soon to see if it is toast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts