Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stator 2.JPG Flywheel.JPG Stator.JPG

Hello all,

I recently removed the flywheel off the bike and I knew there would be rust as water got into with the PO. Cleaned the outside of the flywheel already while it was still on the bike and can clean the case when the stator will out. Everything works as it should be, as the water never touched the stator itself, did the ignition diagnosis as well and the bike ran like this. Now, how can I clean this mess?

Option 1: Tooth brush, wire brush and sand paper.

Option 2: Somebody suggested soda blaster.

Option 3: Metal rescue. Used it on other bike parts and is amazing.

Option 4: You tell me

Thank you guys!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Moved to SOHC Electrical section.
Abrasives and high pressure washers should be avoided. The insulation on each coil needs to be preserved intact and those could easily be damaged.
Since it passes all the resistance tests it's good to go, really ugly but good to go. I would replace the screws asap. They're badly corroded and may snap off upon removal. Now would be the time to address that rather than in the future. Today they may come out ok, next week or month or year?????
I'd start with something like Simple Green or Purple Power, let it sit for awhile and hose it off. May take a couple of times. See where that gets you.
You can use a soft brass wire brush on the ends of the coils to clean those up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Steel wool will work, it will stick to the magnets and clean it up can be a pain. Fine grade sand paper 220 or so, blow the dust out where you're done. Shine it all up and then put some dielectric grease on all of it.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Evaporust? It doesn't hurt skin or a painted floor (I spilled some) and worked really well on the insides of my camshafts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Regular vinegar will turn rust into soluable salts you can rinse off. Spray it on and recoat when it looks like its drying off, rinse with water then coat with wd-40.
Cheers!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Metal Rescue or Evaporust is your best option for a quick clean up with minimal elbow grease required and no damage from scrubbing delicate parts such as the windings on the stator

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I bought a gallon of Evaporust at Tractor Supply (don't know if they're everywhere) for $17 and it's reusable, so that's not too bad

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
We've got Tractor Supply all over New England, good store.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx guys for all the info. Will probably use Metal Rescue as it did fantastic result before

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put the rotor in Metal Rescue and rust is gone. Now, my question is: it is grey metal now and it used to have a reddish tone on it, was it coating? Should I coat it with something before putting back on? Thx

·
Registered
805 Posts
The reddish tone was probably from rust, you do need it coated or it will rust again (called flash rusting). Since it's part of the engine I wouldn't paint it with anything. Leave the plastic insulation alone, use a coat of dielectric grease for the magnet/electrically important surfaces as recommended previously, and a coating of regular old oil for anything else metal that is not involved in generating electricity

1 - 13 of 13 Posts