Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an annoying leak along the bottom of my stator cover, replaced the gasket, still got the leak. Annoying.
I know Hondabond is for case halves, thoughts on using some along the lower portion of my cover? In conjunction with gasket?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Gaskets work best when both sides of the sealing surfaces are clean and level in relation to each other; and will seal a joint face: that’s their job. A cement helps; but you have to decide if the joint has to be separated occasionally; a paper gasket will delaminate but a composite might not. In your case a smear of Cement might help. I used Blue Hylomar on my Triumph;,and it sealed All oil leaks!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The Hondabond should work just fine. It will separate without much force when it is time to come apart. You might not need the gasket though when using the Hondabond.
TOOLS

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The Hm gaskets for the side covers are made from thick material. The aftermarket gaskets I have seen are pretty thin. I make my own from 1/32 inch FelPro. +1 on the o-rings. If the sealing surfaces are in good condition then gasket sealer is not needed. The proper gasket should last through many removals. This is a maintenance access area.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys, I misspoke. Round stator cover is fine. It's the larger, left side cover that's leaking.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Do you have the cover off? If so, have you examined the surfaces for damage, or bits of stuck on old gasket?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
careful, as an ex-buddy(jerk!) of mine used way too much HondaBond on my stator cover and it was a real pain to remove! Side bar: why would anyone basically seal up a part that needs to come off and on a lot?! hello, ignition timing?
anyways, I successfully removed it but caused a gentle, hairline crack. No leaks, though but I sealed the hairline crack with JB sealant and purchased 2 extra NOS stator gaskets. No leaks :) If your large left side cover is leaking first make sure the fasteners are properly torqued and the cover itself was lined up properly upon installation. possible the gasket itself needs to be replaced....

Has anyone noted just how expensive spare stator covers have become? nearly every one I see for sale has many issues to the point of looking unusable.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Is it actually leaking along the bottom - is it possible the oil just accumulates there (as the lowest point).
Could it be leaking under the sprocket cover - that rectangular grommet on the stator wires??

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It appears to be seeping through the gasket, basically when I removed the cover, the only area of the gasket that was wet was where the drip was.
Just got done applying the Hondabond anyhow, we'll see how it holds tomorrow.
I don't see how it could still leak, that stuff seemed like super sealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts