Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I rebuilt a cm450 motor from the bottom up. Everything looked great and went together awesome. I fired it up for the first time today and I'm getting a grinding noise from the starter, almost like it can't catch the gear then it hooks up and cranks but barely enough to offer. I did get it running, engine sounds great and quiet but the starter still does this when I try to restart.

I did swap the starter for another. Both spin great on the bench. I even took them apart, cleaned brush contacts and reassembled. Both are doing same thing, however I haven't tried them on another bike.

On another note, I have a friend experiencing the same issue on her 83' CM450.

Any help or advice?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
This sounds like a starter clutch problem. Possibly the 3 big roller parts have flat spots or the inner drive part surface is worn badly. Either one would allow the outer drive piece to slip and chatter until it got to 3 high spots at the same time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ldr, I figured u would chime in with an answer. Sucky for me, I'm not tearing this thing back down right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have another motor I'm going to build up and when this one causes too much grief I'll swap them and rebuild this one then.

Reactions: longdistancerider
1 - 6 of 6 Posts