Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

in the process of replacing the left side engine cover on a 1976 honda cb200t. once i had the old cover off, i had a lot of scraping to do to get the old gasket pieces off the engine block. to give myself a little more room, i pulled off the small sprocket and the chain that connects to the starter motor. problem is, i didn't pay enough attention to which way the little sprocket was facing. one side of it has about a 1/4-1/2 inch lip and the other side is pretty much flat. i THINK the lip was facing into the engine (toward the starter motor) and the flat side was facing OUT towards the engine cover. but i can't remember. that's how i've got it reassembled right now--as you can see from the few pictures i attached. i've also attached a picture of the sprocket and the chain from an ebay listing...that picture shows more clearly the other side of the sprocket (the side with the 1/4-1/2 inch lip that icurrently have facing in towards the starter).
does anybody know for sure if i've got this thing in correctly?? just don't want to reassemble the side cover, fill it up with oil and then find out i put the sprocket in backwards!

thanks a ton!
tony

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Re: starting motor chain and sprockets...reassembled correct

The chain should run parallel to the gasket surface.... whichever way does that is correct......

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thank you!!

·
Registered
62 Posts

66Sprint said:
The chain should run parallel to the gasket surface.... whichever way does that is correct......
If you still can't tell by this method you might try examining the small sprocket teeth's leading edge for a polished appearance compared to the back side that doesn't get the same wear pressure.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

great idea--thanks. i reassembled everything and it's running good, so i'm assuming i've got it right. but i'll keep this in mind for the future (since i'm sure to make the mistake of disassembling too quickly again!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts