Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a CL450 in late fall it ran fine rode it maybe 10 times, but then it sat for about two months. I am now moving and the last thing i need to move is the bike. I charged the battery and it ran for like 30 seconds and shut off, now it wont start. Is there some quick things i can do to get it going? I currently have little to no tools and dont have one to pull the plugs (will get one today to check spark) but since it ran earlier I figure I am just missing something stupid. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1970 if that matters - sorry for the noob questions but havent spent much time with this bike and I am now at a loss

·
Registered
971 Posts
The Honda twins are notorious for running poorly (or not at all) when the battery is dead or near the end of its life.

First step in getting a twin to run is to hook it up to your car battery using jumper cables (keep the car turned off for this or you might cook your regulator on the bike) and try to start it again.

If it still won't start try a little bit of starting fluid into each carb and try again. If you can get it to run for a little while on starting fluid, but then it dies again you probably need to clean the carbs and/or get fresh fuel into it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
would leaving it hooked up to a battery charger not give enough juice even after it says fully charged?
Not if the battery is already in poor health, no. Batteries that have fully discharged lose some of their capacity. Repeatedly discharging an automotive/motorcycle battery or leaving it in a discharged state for extended periods of time will kill the battery.

A local battery shop can usually load test it for you, but it's usually just easier to do the jumper cable thing to rule out battery issues rather than spend a lot of time troubleshooting it in other ways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts