Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the starter is not working. I removed and cleaned everything. Continuity on the wires inside which i removed and cleaned and checked. I'm using a trickle charger to see if it will run. Not getting response. In the picture I have marked what I believe is positive and negative. Am I correct? Any ideas why wont run?

Thanks _DSC0122.JPG
LGR

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
A trickle charger won't be able to turn that. Try testing out with a battery instead.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Before you go after it with a battery, put the end cap back on. Ground the minus lead to the case and the positive lead to the cable terminal on the side. Connecting a battery to the spots indicated in the picture will just heat up the armature, power has to also go through the field coils for it to turn.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So when I put the end back on and did as you describe all it does is spark.

LGR

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Post a picture of the commutator condition (the copper "bars" on the end of the armature the brushes contact)

Do the brushes slide/move easily in their holders ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the pic. I did get it to turn. I may need to hook to car battery to get more amps. I thought maybe it had a short. When I put tester on positive and touched case I was getting a zero on the meter. I could be wrong because my knowledge of electric is poor. any how I took apart and made sure all wires were coated, and they seem to be. tell me what you think

Thanks for the help
LGR _DSC0123.JPG

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
It isn't going to turn until you put the end back on. If the armature is not supported by the bearing in the end it will just get attracted to the pole piece on one side and not turn.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Take the back plate off, clean the armature surface, check the pressure /tension of the brushes and they slide freely in their slots.
THEN reassemble and test..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I did get it to run. However when taking apart I thought I put it back together right. It is binding. Doesn't spin freely when mounted. Some shims came out and I'm not sure they are back in right. Does anyone have an exploded view of the starter? The model # SM-225. It also could be the gaskets were not put back because they broke. Are there replacements for these or make my own? I did remove the side cover to make sure nothing wrong in there. The chain and small gear spin good. The clutch spins good. However while in there I noticed the part you see in the pic broken. I hope thats not floating around in the motor. I thought it may be stuck to the clutch but no. Are there replace _DSC0124.jpg ments parts for the clutch?
you guys are great thanks
LGR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts