Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The starter on my 1980 CM200T hasn't worked for a while now. I put in a good bit of work trying to figure it out, but I could use a little help. Here's everything I know, the starter works (had it tested), The cable from the solenoid to the starter tested fine for continuity, the starter button dims the lights when pressed, the battery is fully charged, and the solenoid clicks when the starter button is pressed. I was about to just order a new solenoid, but I figured I should just make sure. I'm away at college for the next few months, so I can't work on it at the moment.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Using a multimeter ensure that you are getting battery voltage at the starter when you press the start button. It's possible that the solenoid clicks without actually making a connection. Also possible there is a weak connection at one end or the other of cable from the starter to the solenoid, from the solenoid to the battery, or from the battery to ground.

IIRC on your bike when you press the start button the lights should not just dim, they should go out. When the start button is at rest it connects power to the lights. When pressed it should disconnect power from the lights and apply power to the solenoid.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Do what J-T said and try a direct jump from the red wire on the solenoid to yellow with red stripe on the solenoid. That will bypass the starter button circuit. If the starter turns the button is bad.

·
Registered
632 Posts
#1 thing before doing anything.
Make sure your ground from battery to frame is good.

to test the starter
I use a jump pack. but you can use a car/jumper cables
ground it on the brake pedal. and tap the front bolt of the starter with the +
that will tell you if the starter is okay.
Normally. the click in the solenoid is a good sign. I would say at a guess the power wire inside the starter is disconnected.right where it connects to the power bolt.. :) just a guess tho. that is what happened to mine.

then. if ur starter is working
Next is to get a voltmeter.
and hook it to the solenoid.
test bolt sides for voltage.
one with button pressed and starter disconnected. so you can make sure 12v+ getting through the solenoid. *it could be corroded*

beyond that there is just bypassing the button.
not much more to the system than that....
I don't actually have a stock system myself but I am sure there is a fuse. I would check that as well.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Have you had the battery load tested?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
According to the FSM wiring diagram your headlight should turn off when the starter button is pushed.
You say the battery is new but has it been tested? I just went thru this on one of mine. New battery, turned to junk in a 2 week period. And of course I spent several hours over several days sorting this out because I knew the battery was new so it was good. Reinforced an old saying from my Brit car/Lucas days. "New means it hasn't been used, doesn't mean it good"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts