Honda Twins banner

Starter switch replacement cb200t

7K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  CB350 
#1 ·
My start switch button doesn't work on my 1975 cb200t. It has been rigged with a light switch to work. So it has to be the push button due to everything else seems to work correctly. Are there any other options for replacing this so I don't have anything as bulky? The on and off switch still works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Does your horn work?

#4 ·
Take the switch apart and clean it.

Not rocket science, as Kim Jong Um might have said ....

Switch is permanently live ( with ignition switch in on position) , circuit to starter ( or horn ) made by grounding the little pin under the push button. This assumes that your handlebars have earth continuity with frame ground, easily checked using a meter. If not, run a simple earth strap from a handle bar bolt to the frame.

#5 ·
That's why I asked if the horn worked. To test that the bars had ground.

Here's a pic of the ground wire we're talking about....courtesy of Yendor.

Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Engine Wheel

#7 ·
The horn does not work. I looked for the grounding cable before but now I know what to look for. I missed the sticky somehow on repairing the switch. I would like to eventually go to a small 3 button switch setup. I'm going to check on the grounding cable this afternoon

#8 ·
The horn and the starter switch both depend on a good grounding to the handle bars and the handle bars to the frame. The handle bars are insulated from the frame by the rubber mounts.

#9 ·
Maybe I'm not quite understanding. My blinkers come on. They do not flash but light up. The kill switch works. High beam and low beam works. No horn or starter. I'm not seeing a ground wire coming off of the handlebars anywhere.

#10 ·
Reviving this, have you found a solution or replacement? My starter switch works, but the button would stick and would not return keeping the starter motor running. I sprayed dry lubricant to try to solve the issue and I thought I'd take the housing apart the try to clean out the inside. This is where I think I have an issue now, as the white plastic housing inside fell apart. I have the pieces but do not know how to put it back together. Ball bearing, spring a couple of plates. But it looks like the white plastic housing should not come apart? It looks like the side where the spring rests against has broken off unless it's supposed to come apart. Please let me know. I can take pics tomorrow if it when I get back to the garage where it's parked.

Art

#14 ·
There's only 4 pieces. The button, a spring, the contact, with attached wire, and the retaining piece, held with that screw.

Fit the button and spring first, then slide the contact plate into two slots cast into the switch housing. Finally, wiggle the retainer into place. There is a hole in it, which allows the 'prong' on the button to pass through, but not the spring. That is the only fiddly part.

The really fiddly part is the lighting switch, which contains a tiny ball bearing and a tiny spring. Now that is quite challenging to reassemble ..

#13 · (Edited)
I just found this, hoping this internal piece is universal among the different right side switch housings of bikes of this era and fits my CB200T. They made a 3D printed copy for a CB550.

Youtube video:

3D printed internal part:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/RD...i=shareProduct

Let me know if this of any help and I will report back once I receive the part. Going to the garage to take measurements now as well.

Art

#15 ·
I don't know why the 3D printer site doesn't work but here it is again:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RDM6ZT62Y/cb550-starter-switch-housing-replacement?li=shareProduct

It arrived yesterday, and it is the exact dimensions for my CB200. So it may fit the starter housings for many other CB's of the same vintage. Hopefully there is a way to share this information so people can just rebuild their starter button rather than rig a different button inside and replacement housings are pretty much impossible to come by.

Attachments

#17 ·
Yes, I was also wondering how your 3D printed part worked out. I have a '74 CB200T and the start button isn't working, so I believe there are some pieces missing. This is my first time posting in the forum and I'm so glad I found you all! I would like to know if I should just get a new switch instead of trying to make this current switch work. Here are a couple pics of what is here- looks like there is a spot where another metal plate should screw in but isn't there. Thank you for your input!
Hand Finger Automotive tire Auto part Thumb
Hand Automotive tire Finger Bicycle chain Crankset

#18 ·
Welcome! This is an older thread and those guys above you haven't visited for years.

It does look like you're missing a metal lead. If you can find a replacement control inexpensively it would be easier than reproducing what you haven't got.

#19 ·
Ok, thanks for the tip! Yes, I haven't been able to find an image of the starter button exploded view, but it seems like things are needed for it to work. I did message the guy from the video link that was posted about the 3D printed switch housing to order one of them. But you say there is also another lead that's missing? I ordered a shop manual but it doesn't have a good description of the starter switch assembly. Do you happen to have one or an illustration page? Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.