Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I am new to the forum. Currently working on getting a buddy of mine's '74 CL360 up and running. With the bike hooked up to a battery tender, all lights and gauges work fine. If I try to start the bike with the electric start, the starter solenoid/magnetic switch makes a buzzing/clicking noise (best I can describe it). I currently have it hooked up to an automatic battery tender set on 2 amp. I'm assuming the battery is totally dead, but wondering if anyone else may have a suggestion?

I have also tested for spark with the plugs connected to the coils and sitting on the frame--no spark (I also did this while it was connected to the tender). I have little knowledge/experience of electrical systems, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
The 2 amp tender does NOT supply a large enough current to work both the starter motor and the solenoid....

Spark-plugs ONLY fire when the current to the coil primary is broken, so the engine should be rotating to operate the points to get spark....

Feel free to phone for a more detailed discussion....540-525-5199.....Steve

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
To add to Steve's comment, a 2 amp charger is too much charger for a 12ah battery. Nothing larger than 1.2 amp (10% of ah capacity ). Fully charge the battery before attempting a start. The starter draws 40-60 amps, so charger is not a good tool for starting.
If your battery is below 12v, it is dead and will have little to no amp hours left. That is time for replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts