Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've got a new little problem. Hoping to get some good advice. I have a 1981 Honda Twinstar 200T. The bike starts just fine with the kick start, but recently, the electric start does not work. When pushed I get a whirling sound. Does this sound like i need a new starter? Advice?

·
Premium Member
5,537 Posts
Sounds like the starter clutch chain either fell off or the clutch itself is bad. I've never torn into a twinstar but most of the clutches in Hondas are behind the stator and require the springs to be checked and un gummed or replaced.

parts 7, 8 are the springs and the caps, 21 are the rollers that engage against 6 and 11 I'm guessing.

[attachment=0:cpty1rmq]left-crankcase-cover-alternator-cm200t-twinstar-1980-usa_bighu0137e5a11_9dec.gif[/attachment:cpty1rmq]

Attachments

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Franz makes a good case I guess the other options would be that the starter clutch failed, or the starter planatery gears have become disengaged somehow.
You are going to have to take off the case to have a look. If its not obviously the starter chain then you will need to check over the starter clutch, and or the starter motor itself.
For the starter clutch you would have to remove the rotor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like the starter clutch chain either fell off or the clutch itself is bad. I've never torn into a twinstar but most of the clutches in Hondas are behind the stator and require the springs to be checked and un gummed or replaced.

parts 7, 8 are the springs and the caps, 21 are the rollers that engage against 6 and 11 I'm guessing.

[attachment=0:cpty1rmq]left-crankcase-cover-alternator-cm200t-twinstar-1980-usa_bighu0137e5a11_9dec.gif[/attachment:cpty1rmq]
Could anyone give me any tips on how to loosen no9 in the diagram please.

·
Administrator
8,677 Posts
In the diagram above, #9 is a plate that is sandwiched between 2 other metal items - are we talking about the same #9 ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts