Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1969 CB350 K1 winter basket case is rolling. finally plugged in all the wires with a new battery, condenser, coils, rectifier and solenoid.

I got power to the horn, 2 rear turn signals, the front brake light, the parking light, and the neutral safety light.

the starter will not crank off the button, but works by jumping the solenoid. no headlight. no front turn signal lights, turn signal does not wink, and no rear brake light.

do any of you see a pattern...or, must I tear off all the tape on the complete harness and go play hit-or-miss with a test light?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
What bike?....Modern "lights-on" wiring is different from earlier versions...So we need model and year or K.
The MOST common electrical fault is bad grounds (loose or dirty/corroded)

You can phone anytime to discuss if you wish.......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1969 CB350 K1...I have the 3-position ignition switch (with the parking light). the headlight switch is on the handlebar controls.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
1969 CB350 K1 winter basket case is rolling. finally plugged in all the wires with a new battery, condenser, coils, rectifier and solenoid.

I got power to the horn, 2 rear turn signals, the front brake light, the parking light, and the neutral safety light.

the starter will not crank off the button, but works by jumping the solenoid. no headlight. no front turn signal lights, turn signal does not wink, and no rear brake light.

do any of you see a pattern...or, must I tear off all the tape on the complete harness and go play hit-or-miss with a test light?
IF you'll phone while at the bike with a multimeter or test light probe, I'm sure we can track down any wiring problems......
BY the statement above I've turned blue, do you mean you simply tested for power, or do those lights come on, and horn sounds ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I apologize for turning you blue. I thank you for caring and offering assistance. I will call you as soon as I find my multimeter and open up the headlight bucket again. I'm turning blue too.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I apologize for turning you blue. I thank you for caring and offering assistance. I will call you as soon as I find my multimeter and open up the headlight bucket again. I'm turning blue too.

LMAO Steve meant he turned the text blue. Not that he turned blue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
okay, 66SPRINT! I got the multimeter opened up the headlight bucket and right hand control/headlight switch and found 4 obvious problems.

My headlight switch is broken (but headlight works).

My turn signals have no grounds.

My yellow/red (starter) wire was unplugged.

My rear brake switch is somehow mechanically failing to actuate. It's all greasy and in bad light. I will have to flop my old rickety ass on the floor with a light and inspect it.

!!! 1969 K1 RIGHT SIDE handlebar control headlight switch/wiring (old style)...bare aluminum, no kill switch? I need this part!!!

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
"Kill" switches weren't a requirement at the time of production of that model......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts