Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was already to install the starter motor on my '72 CB350 last night but ran into something that puzzled me. Motor, sprocket and chain all installed fine but when I went to bolt on the setting plate it looked very different that I was expecting. It's been so long since I originally removed it that I forgot what it looked like. I was expecting the split end on it where one side sits on either side of the larger sprocket but mine is just a straight plate. Is this just a hack that a PO did or were some plates like this? What exactly is the purpose of this plate and can I just use this one like it is or should I look into getting the correct one?

Here is a picture showing mine (left) and one I was expecting (right, got this picture here on the site).

settingPlate_01.jpg

·
Registered
554 Posts
One thought - that picture on the right, with the split plate, looks exactly like my 360. Could be a mix up in models?

·
Registered
569 Posts
My 175 has a small tab that looks like the one on the right. Does not go under tho, only over.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the parts fiche it seems the split plate is the correct one, I'm leaning towards the fact that this is a hack from the PO. What exactly is its purpose though, its not real clear to me to be honest. Just wondering if I can just use the one I have or should I try and source the split one?

·
Registered
554 Posts
No idea - parts fiche calls it a setting plate. I've got a spare 360 motor that I'm pulling parts from; just looked, and it's got that split tab. You're welcome to it for cost of shipping if you decide to go that route.

EDIT: Durr, you know what it's called. I swear I read the thread titles :D

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No idea - parts fiche calls it a setting plate. I've got a spare 360 motor that I'm pulling parts from; just looked, and it's got that split tab. You're welcome to it for cost of shipping if you decide to go that route.

EDIT: Durr, you know what it's called. I swear I read the thread titles :D
That is very kind of you, that would be great if you could do that. I was just out looking at mine again and definitely looks incorrect.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not a problem at all! Sent you a PM, I'll get it in the mail tomorrow if I can.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big thanks again to spirograph, plate arrived today and I just finished installing it. You've been a great help and this now enables me to finish buttoning up the engine and move on with the project. Thank you very much!

settingPlate_01.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts