Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was already to install the starter motor on my '72 CB350 last night but ran into something that puzzled me. Motor, sprocket and chain all installed fine but when I went to bolt on the setting plate it looked very different that I was expecting. It's been so long since I originally removed it that I forgot what it looked like. I was expecting the split end on it where one side sits on either side of the larger sprocket but mine is just a straight plate. Is this just a hack that a PO did or were some plates like this? What exactly is the purpose of this plate and can I just use this one like it is or should I look into getting the correct one?

Here is a picture showing mine (left) and one I was expecting (right, got this picture here on the site).

Auto part Engine Disc brake Automotive engine part Machine

·
Registered
555 Posts
One thought - that picture on the right, with the split plate, looks exactly like my 360. Could be a mix up in models?

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the parts fiche it seems the split plate is the correct one, I'm leaning towards the fact that this is a hack from the PO. What exactly is its purpose though, its not real clear to me to be honest. Just wondering if I can just use the one I have or should I try and source the split one?

·
Registered
555 Posts
No idea - parts fiche calls it a setting plate. I've got a spare 360 motor that I'm pulling parts from; just looked, and it's got that split tab. You're welcome to it for cost of shipping if you decide to go that route.

EDIT: Durr, you know what it's called. I swear I read the thread titles :D

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No idea - parts fiche calls it a setting plate. I've got a spare 360 motor that I'm pulling parts from; just looked, and it's got that split tab. You're welcome to it for cost of shipping if you decide to go that route.

EDIT: Durr, you know what it's called. I swear I read the thread titles :D
That is very kind of you, that would be great if you could do that. I was just out looking at mine again and definitely looks incorrect.

·
Premium Member
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big thanks again to spirograph, plate arrived today and I just finished installing it. You've been a great help and this now enables me to finish buttoning up the engine and move on with the project. Thank you very much!

Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Automotive engine part Vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.