Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am completely redoing my electrical, so far so good, just cleaning things up. However as I'm moving through my wiring diagram I noticed the starter solenoid. Something my bike is missing from when I bought it, however I actually don't want it.

I want to do kick only and have a hidden kill switch to turn it on and off (no key Ignition).

How would I bypass the solenoid? That's where the battery connects up to the rest of the machine.

So would I just connect the G/R and Y/R together?

Then the battery goes directly to the R and R/W wires? Then put a switch on them so it turns power on and off to the entire bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simplest would be to just leave the solenoid in place. Remove the cable from the solenoid to the starter, remove the starter (if you so choose), and pretend the solenoid isn't there.
I actually don't have the solenoid at all, my biggest concern is figuring out what to do with the wires, and connecting the wiring harness to the battery without the solenoid.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You dont show enough of the wiring diagram That looks like an A model diagram.If it is your also dealing with the change switch and switch relay.. If Im wrong forget I said anything.If it is maybe I can help.

Bill

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My 400 T diagram is out in the shop .If you dont have an answer by tomorrow I will dig it out and see if I can offer any suggestions.

Bill

·
Sensei
26,995 Posts
Simple......
Connect Red and Red/White directly to battery positive, and simply leave the yellow/red and green/red wires disconnected.......
Yellow/red only gets power when the electric start button is depressed, but is a female connection, so can't short....
Green/red is a male ended wire, but is a ground connection anyway (part of the neutral light/starter safety circuit)......Tape it up if you like....BUT, DO NOT plug them into each other.....

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Looking at the diagram I have to agree with 66Sprint. Looks like you could use the BK/W wire from the CDI unit as your off- on hidden switch. It was for the kill switch witch is what you want to stop the motor. Good luck

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Simple......
Connect Red and Red/White directly to battery positive, and simply leave the yellow/red and green/red wires disconnected.......
Yellow/red only gets power when the electric start button is depressed, but is a female connection, so can't short....
Green/red is a male ended wire, but is a ground connection anyway (part of the neutral light/starter safety circuit)......Tape it up if you like....BUT, DO NOT plug them into each other.....
So should I just cap off the terminals that would normally go to the ignition switch and the starter engine stop switch?

·
Super Moderator
10,156 Posts
You will still require the wires from the battery to the ignition switch to power the lights and horn, as 66 Sprint suggested (unless you have another plan to do that).

You can add a switched wire from the black/white wire from the CDI unit. Connect that wire to your on/off switch, connect a wire from the other switch terminal to ground. Switch closed = engine off, switch open = engine on. Locate it anywhere you like.

You might consider that the kill switch is where it is for a reason. It provides a quick and foolproof (well, almost) way to shut the engine off in an emergency.

·
Super Moderator
24,149 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts