Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and read. I just have a couple of additional questions.

When I removed the rotor the springs where in contact with the rollers, the caps were inside the holes ?

Having just bought all new parts, and looking at my manuals in my garage and online, it would seem that the spring should go in the hole 1st and the cap should ride on the roller?

Then just when I thought I had it sorted I found the piece I have circled. Did that fall out of these pieces?

Help will be appreciated I really want to button this up tonight :roll:

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
that looks like the woodruff key from the crank that locates the alternator rotor, as for the cap spring question my starter clutch is spring cap then roller as you thought

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I could only order the rollers and springs from my local Honda dealership, they could not get the caps?
Got those bits home and realized the caps were worn through and allowing the springs to shoot straight through to the rollers. :cry:
Never done this repair before.

I have contacted motorcyclesolutions and even though he usually doesn't sell to Canada he has agreed to sell me the 3 new caps I need. :)

Another 10 days now at least......... :cry:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have searched here and on fiches online, still can't find the answer to this......

Woodruff key......which side does the flat side slide into?
Shaft or rotor? I did not see the direction when I pulled it apart, it just fell out.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Curved side in the shaft, flat side in the rotor. If you look at the slot in the shaft you'll see it's curved to match the key.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your my hero today :)

So I should slip the disk into the shaft mid way and then install?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, seat the key into the shaft. You may have to lightly tap it to fully seat. You should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 or 2 mm sticking out. No more than the depth of the keyway that is broached in the rotor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
And have the stator / stator housing off when you put the rotor on. I messed around for 10 minutes trying to get the rotor on with the stator in place before I gave up, pulled the housing, and the rotor then slipped right on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts