Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I am helping a friend with his 1971 CB-450. I just put on a set of clubman bars. I have everything hooked back up and it all works except the starter. The bars are painted black. I am wondering if the paint is preventing me from getting a ground connection. Could this be the case?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for reading.

Chris Mahalick

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Black anodized bars might not do it, but black painted bars would definitely keep the starter button from finding ground. Also, make sure the ground connector is in place from the bottom of one of the handlebar mounts to the one of the gauge bracket mount bolts. It's there to make sure the ground to the bars is consistent since the handlebar mount go through rubber cones in the top bridge

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!! And yep, painted. And now I get to look for the ground! It never stops!

I really appreciate your taking the time to answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I sanded off the paint on the bar. It still would not work. So I loosened the metal cover that holds down the yellow/red wire, and then it would run the starter every time I tried to mount the switch to the bars. So then I tightened it back down, and nothing. So I know I have a ground at the bars. I know the yellow/red wire is fine. I know the starter is working, but I can not get the button to work.

Any ideas?

Sorry to be a pain, but I am just so frustrated at this point.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The Y/R wire can still be broken, and make intermittent contact, or the switch can be going bad where the metal pin makes contact with the spring and opposite surface. Take the switch apart, to make sure it isn't just worn out, and connect an Ohmmeter to the Y/R wire at both ends and flex it; if the wire is damaged, the reading will jump around.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Did the Starter Button work BEFORE you changed the bars?

If YES- Then look back thru all the steps for the installation.
Were the wires pulled thru the bars intenally?
Could you have broken a wire doing that?

Check for continuity from the Handle Bars Switch Internally to the Harness Connection inside the headlight bucket.
Then from that point to the solinoid connection.

Check from one of the Bar Switch clamp bolts to ground for a connection to ground.

Does the Horn work? That is also just a connection to ground.
Both the Horn and Starter Solinoid ALWAYS have Power.
The buttons on the handle bars just complete the circuit to ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts