Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 81 Cm400e came with a rigged up start button on the right control.

You can see it in that pic. Last fall before I put it up, the top of the rigged button flew off leaving just the open contacts inside. I can still start it if I push on the contacts but would like to find a replacement. I’m not having any luck finding a new/used E control for the drum front brakes.

I guess my only solution would be to find another start button but I have no idea what would work or what to use. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Honda lists the 81 version as a one year part. I think that you should be able to use any of the E models. Another possibility is taking the starter switch out of another model and installing it in your switch pod if the lower half is in good shape.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm pretty sure you could use a DPST momentary switch as a start button. You could also get a new right side control (aftermarket) and a separate brake lever.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
That will sort of work. Only issue is that the headlight will stay on while cranking. Stock setup kills the headlight while cranking.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
PM your address to me and I'll get a unit in the mail, wrong housing but the internals should work/mount fine.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So today I got brave and took apart my right control. Not much inside of it but you can see where the P.O. drilled into the housing for his makeshift starter button. Same guy who spray painted the rims with silver paint.

https://imgur.com/a/fbXt7

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the new part in. Big thanks to LDR!

Here is what I found.

https://imgur.com/a/s0CL0 (larger pics here)
They top looks similar but no recess or the brake bolt.

The plugs look the same, the wires are all the same color and same amount.

lets start cutting.

Worked perfectly!

Short test, no fuel in the carbs, just a test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts