Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen this post on here (or online at least) before, but I have some additional questions about what to look for here.

1st: bike ran and idled fine with choke off, was running smoothly, and then fell over in my driveway (yes... kicking myself, idiot parked it on a hill facing the wrong way and the kickstand collapsed). As far as I could tell, the only thing that broke was the directional on the left (clutch side), but something else might have gotten hit?

Other things that I think could be a possible cause of this issue: 1 muffler's baffles are totally shot (falling out), so I suppose the uneven backpressure might be an issue.

Anyway, with the choke fully on, the bike idles (around 2500rpm) and runs strong, pulls with good torque through all gears.

I can nudge the choke down to JUST A HAIR before it being off, and the bike will idle down around 1600-1800rpm (hard to tell). As soon as I rotate it that final hair, the bike instantly shuts down. I mean, I don't even have time to goose it before the thing cuts out.

Also, I can ride it with the choke just a hair above off, and it'll have decent torque up to about 40mph, but after that it will barely move, so I generally ride it with choke around a little less than half of the way up.

So my question(s): obviously I'll wait until the new mufflers come in to troubleshoot this more, but where should I start?
I already tried bringing the idle speeds up up up as I brought the choke closer to off, and this made things a little better, but I feel like idling at 1800rpm is high.
What's proper idle for this bike?

What else am I checking for? I feel like the carbs are strong and clean, or I don't think the bike would have been running as well before it fell over. I've seen people recommend checking for a vac leak, but I'm not really sure where to start poking around for that - I'm used to working on 4cyl engines, not twins.

-~Adam

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
A fall can "re-adjust" a float level...Or knock tank debris loose where it can get to the carbs.. I'd work on the carbs and make sure they are clean, the adjustments are correct, and they are sync'd.....

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn. I hate opening carbs, it means a few days of no riding, and I haven't got the tools to properly sync them.

Also, I meant to post this in the 350 forum, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Is it terrible to ride with the choke a little less than half? It's just going to foul spark plugs a little more quickly, right? Any other bad effects?

~A

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
"Any other bad effects?"....
Depends on if you need to get out of a car's way when the plugs foul and she stalls.... :eek:
Plus, you are carboning-up the cylinder, piston, and valves..... Cleaning/adjusting carbs is much easier than a top-end tear-down....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If it will only run with the choke partially closed, then you have a lean condition.
Figure out what's causing that.......this assumes the compression is good, timing, valves and all are ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts