Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After missing out on a reasonable set of stainless Allen-head socket screws that was listed on eBay I started looking for options and noticed that other sets are either too expensive or have a different count than what Jim lists in his rebuilding sticky. This leaves me with the task of hunting down the items from a fastener supplier. I realized however that I had no information regarding the thread size.

Does anyone know the pitch of the threads for Keihin carb screws?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
Be aware that with stainless allen heads you'll need to put anti seize on the threads and be very careful when tightening them due to the joys of 40 year old carburetor metallurgy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 80cb400t,

I guess I was thinking to swap out the screws with stainless because I remembered Jim mentioning it in his rebuilding sticky. Is there chemical reason that stainless fasteners would seize in the carb bodies?

·
Registered
805 Posts
There's a couple benefits to allen heads, one being that an allen key is smaller than a screwdriver, so you could probably take the bowls off without removing the carbs. Also the heads of the screws will probably never strip unlike the originals which do so quite easily. Electrolysis is why they could seize, but the rate would depend on conditions. If you've never heard of that basically different metals have different affinity for electrons, if there's a high difference in affinity transfer occurs, which shows up as a reaction that effectively corrodes them together over time

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again... I will definitely be swapping out the screws for the above mentioned reasons.
I’m generally familiar with the concept of electrolysis, but didn’t know if stainless had more of a chance fusing with the carb body than normal steel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still curious as to the thread pitch. I’m not going to take my carbs off until I’m ready to rebuild them (once I have all the parts), so pulling a screw and checking the threads is a last resort. I’m hoping to borrow from someone else’s experience in order to prepare for the task.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Screws are all normal pitch for size. 5 & 6 mm are 1.0, 4's are .7, 8's are 1.25. You can look at the fiche break down and it lists size and length

1 - 8 of 8 Posts