Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1974(september 1973) CB 360 G
745B carbs with 110 jets, turned out 1 5/8 turns from seated.
around 165 psi compression on both sides
Stock air boxes
New intake boots
New Coils
New Points, has a "369" advance mechanism
New condensers
Carbs cleaned (really cleaned)
Cam chain, valves, timing dead on.
definitely exhaust leak, old crush gaskets and bad connections at mufflers
Exhaust is basically wide open with 18"ish LOUD slash cut mufflers (i hate it)

Starts and idles/revs like an absolute champ. accelerates to redline without a hesitation.

When I'm holding at a steady RPM (any rpm). it stutters and hesitates constantly. while its stuttering if i rev it way up it revs real smooth.

after a few miles if i try to slow roll through a corner or pull up to a stop, it stalls and wont start for a few minutes.

I have fuel flow from the petcock and through the lines real nice. though the lines never fill all the way up, they kind of hover around half full.

Plugs are a kind of brown desert tan color, dry.

When it does eventually start back up (electric starter) i have the throttle around 15-20% and it will cough into life, with lots of backfiring and hesitation. then i will go through roughly the same cycle- coughing at steady rpm steady but revving up fine, then will stall again when i get to my driveway.

I thought at first that i was setting my timing stupidly, but I've don't it 100 times now, and its set according to the book., now i thinks its a fuel/air problem, but im having trouble proving it, since it starts so nice and runs so well at first.

It doesn't seem like a heat problem, since its still hot when it pops back to life. the fuel lines being half full makes me suspicious.

Im confused! i just want to be able to ride it every day, but its thwarting my every effort. Thanks for your time everyone, your help is appreciated.

-Merv.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like a fuel flow problem. It makes sense that it starts so well because all the fuel has built up in the carbs. The reason you stall out is not enough fuel is getting to the carbs. I would start at the petcock and look for restriction. It could also be a float problem if the floats are sticking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a fuel flow problem. It makes sense that it starts so well because all the fuel has built up in the carbs. The reason you stall out is not enough fuel is getting to the carbs. I would start at the petcock and look for restriction. It could also be a float problem if the floats are sticking.
I think you’re right, I blocked one leg of the petcock and t’d into both carbs from one fuel outlet, it seems to have given me free-er fuel flow.

separately- my points/plate won’t stay still, it sets fine but wiggles around when I’m riding and causes trouble. The previous owner obviously mangled it, I had to retap all the screws.
I bought a good take off points plate for emergencies but I’m switching to the shockwave from cmc to see if I get good results.

I like staying vintage but you can’t fight technology.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts