Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have plans for a trip next year with some buddies which will be around 800 miles, mostly highway. I find the gearing on my bike is fairly low for the highway, though I realize it's just a 450...I'm hoping to get a little better top end speed to reduce the rpms. I'm wondering how much bigger I can go with the front sprocket as my rear doesn't look like I can lose any teeth.

thanks,
Jeffe

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
What number of teeth front sprocket is on it now?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Many of us with 450's run 17 tooth counter sprockets, about as big as you can go.
A bit more clutch-feathering from dead stop, but really cuts down the vibration at cruise......

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
(I just didn't want to tell him to go up until I was sure he wasn't already there) LOL... :lol:

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Quote corrected for INTENT, not specificty.......LMAO!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is stock. Thanks for the input. When you swapped, did you have to change your chain, or could you get away with moving the wheel in a bit?

edit: so just a question, since I changes my rear wheel to a cb360 one and have the stock rear sprocket on, it just looks like I can't lose any teeth from it. I'm not 100% on that, so if it's possible do any of you know? It would be easier to lose some teeth so I don't have to buy a new chain...if moving up 2 teeth in the front would require a new one that is.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
What is your current toothing? (front and rear) and are you running a 360 swingarm?
Technically, BOTH sprockets and the chain should all be exchanged for new as a unit.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah I'm running a 360 swingarm and wheel with the stock 360 sprocket, which I think is a 38t sprocket from the factory and the stock cb450 front sprocket which is a 15t. And yeah I know they should both be changed, I'm just trying to find an optimum or at least common enough gearing for highway and city. I would say 90% of my rides are in the city, but for the highway rides I really need higher gearing because my state has 70mph limits which means everyone is doing 85.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The 360 swingarm is longer and extends the wheelbase....which lowers the bikes rear end a little.....Overall weight reduction is probably minimal (more arm, more chain, less brakes, smaller diameter axle...etc...)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went with a 17t sprocket and I really enjoy it. It takes the vibration down so much from stock. I do think though that the best combo would have been to add to the rear sprocket two teeth and stick with the 17 up front. But that would have been just a hassle. The acceleration is only an issue on the top end, where it would be anyway, but in city traffic where a major road varies from 80mph to 45mph and back up, I actually wouldn't have minded slightly higher gearing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
IF a 15 Tooth sprocket is stock on a CB-450 (I have a 1971) then what is stock on the rear?

I'ld like to run a 17 / 16 on the front and one tooth small on the rear.

Suggestions?

Chain length?

TIA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts