Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda 450A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m new and have a Cm450a that has a really loose chain that is hitting the frame when under load. I found the chain soze(102link) but I am getting various answers for the front snd back sprocket size. Can someone steer me in the right direction for sizing.
Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi,
I’m new and have a Cm450a that has a really loose chain that is hitting the frame when under load. I found the chain soze(102link) but I am getting various answers for the front snd back sprocket size. Can someone steer me in the right direction for sizing.
Thanks
Scott
Hi,
Thanks
Scott
Hello Scott, why not see how many teeth you have now, and decide if you want to change gearing ratio or stay with size you have now. Would you like more acceleration, and power for hills or having a passenger on board, or are you happy with what you have. Do you feel like too many RPM at hiway speed. I see you have the automatic transmission, is that a 2 speed? If so, it may be wise to not change ratio from stock. If you carry a second person and don't spend time on the hiway you can gain power by adding a few teeth to rear sprocket, which will require a few more links to the drivechain. Generally speaking the Honda engineers have installed sprockets that are a compromise that most people can use. Just count the teeth, or look for a number stamped into the sprocket. Typical numbers would be 15 or 16 front and34 to 40 rear. Automatics may vary. Many parts suppliers or dealer websites will have the original factory sprockets and chain numbers available. The way to be sure is to count what you have. Good Luck, John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts