Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have just completed a new built a CB 450 engine into a 500 and are running it on "Penrite 10W-40 100% PAO Ester Synthetic oil. It has Ignitech ignition so no more magneto charging system, but we have keeped it with an electric start.
Things started out ok but then developed the dreaded Starter sprag clutch slippage. Removed the Sprag clutch and all was fine in there, caps, springs, rollers and screws etc all looked fine against a new clutch kit that i had already purchased. I put the new kit in but the Sprag clutch still slipped ???. Removed starter motor in case that was the problem but this checked out fine no issues with that.
Disscused the issue with a mechanic friend of mine and his thoughts were that with an old motor design running with a high quality oil could be the problem.
So we removed the starter Clutch replaced the existing caps, springs and rollers. Then we got some fine grit paper and polished up the shaft where the rollers of the clutch grab, and that seemed to have solved the problem. He said its to do with the synthetic oil molycules in the metal on the shaft.
Has anyone come across this senario before when you start running high quality oils and its causes problems. May be i will have to change to another type of oil, i just wanted the best for the new engine.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I’ve never heard of synthetic oil hurting the starter clutch; only that non-JASO-MA rated oils will slip your drive clutch plates. That said, not at all uncommon for the starter clutch to go out, especially on a new build where starting the pre-fine-tuned engine can put extra stress on the starter clutch via backfires, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am in process of getting a 20 some year non running 1968 cb50 running. Owner told me he boughtit over 20 years ago and the seller rode the bike to his house for delivery and the next day it would not start and that was the last time it ran. He did not do much to it from there. He asked me to get it running for him and I replaced the coils and condenser checked valve lash and now it turns over and has spark. I have cleaned the carbs and replaced plugs and wires and drained the oil. I went to parts store to get needed 10w 30 oil and can not find oil for wet clutch 4 stroke bike. What are people running in older bikes that require 10w30? any information will be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I use a 10W40 motorcycle rated oil in my 450; usually Amsoil, but sometimes other brands.

The original owner's manual says SAE 30 above 59F, and 20 or 20W below that, down to 32F.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts