Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search through the forums but couldn't find anything that answered my question... figured I'd give it a shot in here.

I have a nice speedo and tach from my parts bike, not fading or rust unlike my original. The only problem is its missing the two screws that hold the gauge face in place and I can't figure out how to get in there.

Is there a write up on this somewhere or can someone give me some direction?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
It aint easy and takes some real patience. I have not done it myself so will let someone that has fill you in better but basically you need to pry the chrome ring off that holds the face on. If I was doing it the thing would be trashed because I am a big hammer kind of mechanic. It looks like delicate work but can be done.
Don

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
You can use the cheap paint can openers that you get from Home Depot and Lowes to carefully pry back the chrome ring so that you can get the assembly apart. Just remember to it little by little and keep working around the circumference. Seriously, if you use baby steps, it is more time consuming than difficult.

Upon reassembly, try to keep the metal pliers from chewing up the chrome. Block with thick cloth or leather, and again, use baby steps to reseal the gauge.

If you are working with 2 round gauges, you could also dremel cut at the 6 O'clock position, and then upon reassembly use JB Weld to reattach the cut ends of the trim ring, using a hose clamp to keep the ends together until the JB cures.

Gersh

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I just disassembled my CB350 tach/.speedo using this as a guide:

http://www.salocal.com/sohc/tech/speedo/spedo1.htm

Everything was similar except for removing the trip reset knob. On the 350, there is a screw on the end of the knob, as opposed to a reverse thread nut inside... I am unfamiliar with the 450, however, so I am unsure how it compares.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use JB Weld to secure the cut chrome band back on the gauges. I wouldn't cut the band at all. Pry it back slowly seems like the best solution. The JB Weld won't hold very well or forever.. Others have experienced the JB Weld releasing on them..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
JB is nothing more than hi-temp epoxy with metallic powder added, no secret formula.
For this application, I'd just use normal epoxy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts