Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys

Was just going through cleaning up the back end of my bike and found a split in the frame. The split is all the way through and I can move it around but something in the middle of the bar is stopping it from coming apart. It is just under the pillion peg mounts on the right side and was possibly due to a falling and the pillion peg pushing against the frame.

Can this be welded or do I need a new frame completely? :(

I have a 1973 CB350.

Apologies for the image I am having trouble uploading full size. If you need better pics let me know and I will try to sort it out.

Thanks in advance!

Morgan

Tire Spoke Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel

EDIT - link to full size image (hosted on other site as i couldnt figure out why it was uploading to small here): https://ibb.co/c6h4mx

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It is really hard to see anything in the picture. Usually damage would be called a crack, break or tear. The material the frame is made from can be welded. Honda chose the alloy for ease of production welding and forming. Can the frame tube move around? If so I wold suggest contacting a good weld shop and talk to them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@JamesPal here is a link to a full size image https://ibb.co/c6h4mx - couldnt figure out uploading on this site.

The crack is all the way through the frame / pipe. It seems as though there is something down the middle of the pipe though because i cant push it so it separates.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Water freezing inside the frame and expanding can cause that type of damage, especially if the bike had been left outside. I agree that it can be welded.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Looks to me like a fatigue crack. Could have been a long term pipe defect or rough roads and mileage. Doubt it was caused by a tip over. I would be checking the tubes/frame carefully as one crack like that usually means there are others.

Yes it can be repaired. See if you can find a welder familiar with bike frames, maybe talk to the dirt bike folks .... they like to break things.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
This needs to be fixed. It is a safety item. Good call on the dirt bike guys, I would think a outer sleeve over the crack would be a good idea. Someone with more experience than I should make the call. There are dain holes on the lower parts of the frame. Make sure they are open and not clogged with gunk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts