Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll be cutting the wires on my CDI unit to install a new one from cdimagician. What do you recommend for splicing the wires? Are crimp connectors and liquid tape good enough?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I’ve only ever used butt splices and electrical tape/shrink wrap, which has worked OK. I hear that tinning, intertwining the wires, soldering them together and then putting shrink over the top is the more correct way, though.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I've used crimp connectors on all my bikes for splicing. So far so good.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
whatever method you choose be sure to cut all your wires at unequal lengths so as to stagger your connections thus avoiding one big wad of splices.

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Crimps are better than solder. When you solder a wire the molten solder wicks up the wire strands. A stress riser is formed where the solder ends. If the wire is not mechanically supported any vibration can cause the joint to fail. You never see solder connections on airplanes. A proper crimp tool and a favorite set of splices and compatible bullet connectors is a must have for the home wrencher. Honda uses a 3.9 mm bullet connector.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I'm with JP as well, but must point out where he mentioned using the correct type of crimper. Your choice of crimper will make all the difference in the quality and longevity of your connections. The ratcheting type that won't release until the crimp is completed is the best choice.
Over on SOHC4 they recommend a company called Vintage Connections OEM-Type Bullet & Spade Electrical Connectors for 1960's through 1970's Japanese Vehicles... Bridgestone, Datsun, Hodaka, Honda, Kawasaki, Landcruiser, Suzuki, Tohatsu, VW, & Yamaha which has all the parts and tools, they sell different dies for their ratcheting crimper too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Unbeknownst to me, I wasn't doing it completely wrong after all :D I third (fourth?) the Vintage Connections recommendation. Their crimper and barrels make even the noob connections I do look good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts