Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedo on my 71 cb 350 worked great for 50 miles or so, then it dropped down and started hovering around 10 mph. when I would stop it would drop to 0. As I accelarate it will climb up to 10 and flutter. Then for a while won't move from 0. Then all of a sudden I will look down and it is working perfectly. And then it stops again. I checked the cable and it seems fine. Why would it function intemittently?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I can get my hands on a CB360 Speedo would it be compatible with my CB350. I know the 360s had a front disc brake so I imagine the cable might be different with a different hub setup? Yes, No, Maybe? :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the way home from work I stopped at the Honda service center and talked to an old (sorry :)) motorcycle mechanic. He said the speedos almost never go bad. He said to look at the cable, so I pulled it off real quick and he checked it. He said the cable was fine. He said that he would bet the drive gear in the hub was was broken before the speedo would go bad. Sure enough, when I got home I pulled the wheel and opened it up and when I pulled out the gear the teeth were ground off and and there were metal shavings around it. I pulled the whole assembly off my CL parts bike, switched them over, and the speedo is working great again. I wonder what caused the gear to tear up like that?????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts