Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 CM400C that I bought July of 2000 with 9,000 miles on it.
It now has 35,000 miles on it and last fall the speedometer started humming.
I replaced the speedometer cable with a new Motion Pro cable and the speedometer
continued to hum and then whine, loudly. The needle wobbled then broke.
I bought a used speedometer with 10,200 miles on it, installed it and it also whines, loudly.

Are these speedometers (37200-447-733) able to be lubricated? What do I do next?

Thanks for your help,
Mark Snyder

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 79 CM400T just started having this issue as well. First my tach started going crazy so I disassembled it and tightened the screws back up and reassembled it. My cable was in good working condition and properly lubed. It worked for a little bit then went crazy again and now it just stays around bellow the 10,000 rpm range. Then today my speedometer started whining and humming very loudly and jumping around to the point where I couldn’t tell what my speed was. Mine only has 3,500 miles on it so I’m not sure what to do now. I really don’t want to have to pry apart my speedometer gauge like I did my tach gauge. So I could use some tips too!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Need to lube them. Remove and turn over and put some drops between the cable hole and edge. Leave upside down for a bit. Maybe others have alternate solutions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts