Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to take the casings off. I took them off and the case won't budge. There are only two small screws on the back but I found all they do is hold the "guts" in place. I'm looking to take them apart so I can refurbish the exterior.

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You don't mention the year/model, so we don't know what you are talking about specifically.

But in general, you have to pry them apart carefully, at great risk to the mechanism.
There have been alot of posts over at the SOHC4 forum about this - try a Search there.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Matt, post a pic.... I probably have a spare I can give you to "practice" on...... Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The reason I mentioned Searching over at the SOHC4 Forum is because aftermarket replacement dial faces are available for those bikes (like 750's), and a lot of those guys have actually done this.
Sadly, no dial face replacements are available for our bikes (that I know of).

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
NE350 said:
I'm looking to take them apart so I can refurbish the exterior.

Thanks, Matt
I've done that on a couple of bikes recently - but all I did was mask off the glass and any part (like the chrome base) that I didn't want to affect.

Then some light sanding and spray paint, and they look great again.
No need to risk taking them apart just to clean up the black exterior.

G

·
Hello I'm new to the site and still weaving through all the posts. And I'm also restoring a CB350 K4 and have need of replacement gauge faces for the speedo and tach.
I have found a source to laser etch replacement gauge faces for both the speedo and tach. As in all new products there is a setup cost and minimum quantity (12) associated with this project. The target sale price is between $40-$50 plus shippng.

Any interest out there?

Thanks

Dom
Bloomington Springs, TN

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Dom, Please don't take this the wrong way, but I generally buy a whole bike (350) for between $50 and $100...... Many of those have had "perfect" condition meters.... Send a pic and note face color, I'll see if I can fix you up.... If all you want is a face, I could probably find one with a broken trip reset or cracked lens, and you could have it for shipping cost alone....( Under $10)... Steve

G

·
Thanks Steve

I've taken the ebay route on getting better faceplates but got mostly junk; hence my effort to get some faceplates made. If you have a set of faceplates (speedo and tach) for a 350 K3 it would be a lifesaver.

Thanks

Dom

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If you're good at PhotoShop or a similar program you could always design your own and print them out on some sort of plastic laminate-type film.
There was a lengthy thread over at the SOHC4 forum earlier this year regarding this - but this guy was a high-end graphic artist dude, using very sophisticated software.

Don't see why us bottom-feeders couldn't do it, though, with simpler "tools".....

I get a special satisfaction out of attaining great results using primitive tools. I do a lot of killer photographic darkroom stuff (even color), just in my bathroom, with rags stuffed around the door and windows, and simple trays of chemicals.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
So far, all I've found with decent faces were green-face meters..... Still digging... I have lots of boxes...LOL... Steve

G

·
Jason
Thanks for the quick reply.

Green is good .... it's politically correct to "go green" these days!

I'm not a restoration purest ..... just a retired ole guy
who likes to turn a POS into a clean "rider".

Thanks again

Dom

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Matt,
I am also repainting my gauges (and the bracket that hold them up). Instead of regular spray paint I am going to try some epoxy appliance spray paint (glossy black). I heard that it leaves a very nice finish and it is more resistant to chipping.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
NE350 said:
Post the pics... Hope the epoxy works for ya. Since the speedo and tach are right up front might be a good idea to use something chip resistant.
Heh, I will try to. According to JRK you need to comply with the spray temperature listed on the can to the letter or else the paint will peel off during curing (I live in Chicago aka Siberia on the lake). Garage isn't heated and parents do not like spray painting in the house.

UPDATE: I think I will redo a couple of my metal parts with this epoxy when I get a chance. The metal spray paint I used does not hold up at all! I dropped a finished part on a pair of bolts and the bare metal was shining right through the point of impact, and the surrounding paint started flaking/chipping away. :evil:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts