Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good procedure for cleaning up the spark advancer? Should I use some light lube on the pivet points? If so what kind?

Also is there any way to tell if the springs are still good?

Im waiting on my new points and condenser to arrive and I'm trying to get everything ready!

Thanks
Lance

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Disassemble, clean, a single drop of gun oil...
It's pretty subjective....experience helps......best way I can discribe it is fairly good tension when turned fully open (advanced) and "snicks" back quickly when released ...You'll understand when you try it......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's pretty subjective....experience helps......best way I can discribe it is fairly good tension when turned fully open (advanced) and "snicks" back quickly when released ...You'll understand when you try it......
When I turn it it does have a good amount of tension and it also snaps back well, I'm thinking it is in good shape!

I'm still gonna clean it up though .

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
363 Posts
if you really want to put your mind at ease, check the advance with a timing light look for uniform and smooth advancement of the spark when you rev the bike up to about 4000 rpms

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update.

Checked advance with timing light. Works awsome!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Disassemble, clean, a single drop of gun oil...
Steve, where are you locating the oil? Just on the pivot points of the weights or are you getting it between the advancer shaft & sleeve?

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
I put a little axle grease on the advancer shaft. It smooths the action a little, and axle grease won't fling off so easy. It dampens the movement of the advnacer so it is less likely to bounce...For the record, I no longer have that because I am using an electronic ignition with electronic advance (Pamco). All those moving parts and wear items go away.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The oil is to lubricate the "cam followers" of the points, transferred there from/by the oil-wetted felt block.....Without lube, the fibre wears fairly quickly requiring constant/frequent point adjustment..... One drop of oil on the felt EVERY 1000 miles, which to me means every oil change for the engine in general....Rotella T is cheap compared to engine internals.....(I'd rather dump semi-clean and still good oil than run on dirty/bad oil)

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
The oil is to lubricate the "cam followers" of the points, transferred there from/by the oil-wetted felt block.....Without lube, the fibre wears fairly quickly requiring constant/frequent point adjustment..... One drop of oil on the felt EVERY 1000 miles, which to me means every oil change for the engine in general....Rotella T is cheap compared to engine internals.....(I'd rather dump semi-clean and still good oil than run on dirty/bad oil)
I've learned that oil works best on the 'oil felt' for points cam lubrication;I've used some hi-temp grease on it before but I realize it's meant for oil to soak into it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sounds good, thanks. I put a dab of lube that came with a new set of points on the 2 pivot points of the advancer and then put some on the felt block.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts