Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my cl350 to work today. I had recently installed a used spark advance mech that had better spring action than my previous. I only took it around town for about 3 miles, but it seemed to perform fine. I also noticed my rt points wire was super worn and only holding on by 2 wires! Last night I put a replacement set on and went to bed.
This morning I fired the bike up and left for work. About a mile later the bike got all sassy on me and died. I jiggled some wires, checked for gas, then decided to pull the points cover. Boom, back in action. I hopped on the highway and about 15 lane splitting miles later I noticed some hesitation, and I pull the clutch and the bike dies with a pop. Oops.
I rolled it to the shoulder and checked for gas, jiggled the wires, and sat there thinking to myself that I should've done a shakedown, or just gone home for another bike when this happened the first time. As I looked down at the tank, I noticed the cam on the advancer unit was sticking out! Has the bolt come off the camshaft? Good thing the points cover was off! Upon inspection, the bolt was still on the camshaft, but the spark advance cam had pulled away from the weights and gotten stopped by the points plate. Well, I carry tools with me, but a spare advancer isn't one of them.
Luckily I was able to remove the points and reattach the cam, which now slides right off. Did my best to put the points back in position, and the bike got me to work and home. So, is it time for me to get e-ignition? Probably not.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
...,I'm sorry... but "juggling wires"isn't the best troubleshooting techniques..I has bit me in the ass more than once!
yes, you were correct regarding a "shake down"... because you are actually expecting something (especially used parts) to fail during this time.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, you know the bike is sketchy when jiggling wires is a troubleshooting technique!
It's mostly just to check to see if there are any compromised terminal connections. Fortunately this test has seldom yielded positive results. There was a time though when the previous owner had used a jumbo sized bullet for the points, and when I went back to the standard 3.5 bullet the terminal connection wasn't s strong as it should've been.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Chris - did I understand that the breaker cam slid off the advancer unit? If so, is it because the flat washer on the 6mm bolt is standard size (not the larger washer intended to cover the end of the breaker cam)?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well this is embarrassing. It certainly crossed my mind that a larger washer would keep it all on. I pulled up a couple photos and that is indeed the issue. Easy and quick fix! Thanks for getting me straightened out!

Edit: I should also not my camshaft end play/axial clearance is above spec, and also probably a factor in this

Chris - did I understand that the breaker cam slid off the advancer unit? If so, is it because the flat washer on the 6mm bolt is standard size (not the larger washer intended to cover the end of the breaker cam)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts