Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. So I got a sparckmoto Regulator/Rectifier to replace the old systems on my bike and upgrade the charging system.

I’m at the part where I’m taking the old regulator plug and splicing 3 wires into the new plug to connect to the new unit.

My only problem is that the wires from the old unit are all faded all the way down to inside the crankcase because they have been discolored with fuel. Impossible to tel which wire is which color. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just on the Stator is a clamp which secured the cable as it exited the oily parts and there was a black sleeve; under the sleeve the wires were protected from oil; you might be able to see the original colour there.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Alternatively if your upper cable into the loom is coloured; the connector orientation will tell you which wire is which colour; align the connector and follow it back. There is a vendor on here who has just sourced new connections and you can solder new wires of the correct colour onto the Stator. Incidentally they also sell an increased output stator and REG/REC which you might consider.....
Nigel.

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but if converting to a modern combined rectifier / regulator it doesn't actually matter which of the three wires ( pink, yellow and white ) from the stator goes to the three terminals ( often all three are yellow wires ) on the new unit.

175 wiring. Fourth wire is from the neutral switch, obvious which this is with sprocket cover removed.

Diagram Technical drawing

Modern wiring.

Diagram Line Technology Drawing Illustration

·
Registered
971 Posts
A multimeter will usually answer your question. Assuming you can get to bare metal and your stator is in good condition, the resistance reading across the yellow and white wires will be the lowest.

If I remember correctly (which I may not), it's something like 0.6 Ohms across the yellow and white, 1.2 Ohms across pink and yellow, and 0.9 Ohms across pink and white.

For the installation of the R/R, I find it useful the splice the white and yellow wires together, coming from the stator, before connecting them both to the yellow wire on the R/R. The pink wire can be connected directly to the R/R's pink wire without any need for splicing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts