Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Tri-Sparck Three Phase Conversion Kit for the Honda twins is going to production. Thanks in advance for all the enthusiasts who have helped make this product a reality.

We're expecting these in stock and shipping out to our customers in late March. Our pre-sale price of $200 will apply until the end of February, but after that the price will increase to $250. This is your last chance to get the discount!

Included in the kit is the three phase stator, the necessary regulator/rectifier, nylon spacers, a specialized subharness for the regulator/rectifier, and detailed instructions.

The attached picture shows the actual prototype we used on a CB175. The production model will include epoxy sealant around the coils.
Wire Copper Thread Plate Textile
Wire Electrical wiring Cable Electrical connector Technology

Check out the idle voltage on that CB175:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX1g4FbNTUY

Pre-order yours through PayPal at this link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=QLGY3A7NJKZZY

·
Registered
635 Posts
That’s brilliant! How many Watts and Amps can be expected at +12V? When (how many revs) will it start to produce useable charging power? How much better is it over the OEM?
Thanks.
Nigel

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nigel,

At this point in time, we've focused on real world testing rather than bench testing. We have plans to go back and establish some solid metrics, but for now we're working with estimated values based on real-world use.

In our CB175 test model, we had a solid 13.1V at idle with all of the lights on. Voltage was kept in check by our specially designed R/R at a modest 13.9V.

Based on our numbers so far, I'm expecting around a 180W rating for the kit. If my estimate is correct, this makes the stator about a 60% improvement over stock.

Also for reference, the CB175 had a Rick's Hotshot unit installed previous to our Tri-Sparck and it was not able to keep up with the demands of the bike. This particular bike was running a very small LI-ION battery and because of the lack of charging at idle, it kept eating them up. We've had no reported issues since our system was installed.

Just a little background: We began this project about three years ago with the intent of eventually modifying a Honda 360 to allow for an external electric oil pump and electronic fuel injection system. Obviously the old anemic system couldn't handle the extra wattage used by the fuel pump, oil pump, and electronics, so now that we have the charging sorted out, the next step is to start hooking up the EFI components and see how we get on. ;)

Cheers,
Matthew

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Dumb question about these aftermarket stators:

It appears that they don't come with a "timing mark", and you are supposed to notch it yourself. How are you supposed to know exactly where it is (lets say if you are starting with a non-running bike)?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It appears that they don't come with a "timing mark", and you are supposed to notch it yourself. How are you supposed to know exactly where it is (lets say if you are starting with a non-running bike)?
The correct way would be to use a degree wheel attached to the end of the alternator rotor. Using a positive stop in one of the spark plug holes, you slowly and gently turn the engine clockwise until the piston contacts the stop. Make a note of the value on the degree wheel. Then you turn the engine in the opposite direction until you enter the stop again. The difference between the two readings is your TDC. Scribe this mark on the stator.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts

On 175's and 200's the indexing tab easily pops off the oem stator and can be marine epoxyed on to a new one
The easiest way to get it in its correct position is to transcripe the mark to the aluminium of the side cover with the old stator in place then remove and replace the stator and use the transcribed mark on the side cover to allign the newly positioned indexing tab

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks Matthew, 60% is a great achievement over stock! Last question: what do they weigh? Need to work out postage to the Uk as I’m contemplating going for it. I’m flying to Egypt today so can’t reply for a day or so...
cheers Nigel.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I. Love. This. My preorder is headed your way! My rebuild has one of your wiring harnesses all ready to go in, is it just a matter of swapping out the existing Sparck R/R for the specialized one then?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I. Love. This. My preorder is headed your way! My rebuild has one of your wiring harnesses all ready to go in, is it just a matter of swapping out the existing Sparck R/R for the specialized one then?
Mostly.

Your harness would have included a section of pink, yellow, white, and brown wires that leads to the existing stator. You'll want to cut the heat shrink off of this run and remove the yellow, pink, and white wires. The brown wire will need to be retained. If you have the proper extractor tool, you can then remove the brown wire from the harness side of the stator connection. The old regulator and rectifier are no longer needed and can also be removed from the system. The new stator kit will have a matching adapter sub-harness that will enable you to plug in the brown wire to the new system and will also connect the new stator to the new regulator/rectifier. A little harness wrap to tidy up the brown wire and you're good to go.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Matthew, 60% is a great achievement over stock! Last question: what do they weigh? Need to work out postage to the Uk as I’m contemplating going for it. I’m flying to Egypt today so can’t reply for a day or so...
cheers Nigel.
The full kit weighs several pounds. Shipping to the UK is likely to be in the $30-$50 range.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I think there's a possibility that this part may work on the CB450 and CB500T as well. I'd need to get my hands on a side cover and rotor to double-check the fitment, however.
Would you like to borrow one and if so, 450 or 500T?

Reactions: Rothafella

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would you like to borrow one and if so, 450 or 500T?
Yes, please.

My understanding is that the 450 and 500 are more or less identical, so it shouldn't matter which.

Sparck Moto
120 NE Fairway Dr
Albany, OR 97321

[email protected]

Please let me know what you need to cover the shipping charges.

Thanks again,
Matthew

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
No problem, I'll get a cover and rotor off this weekend. Just FYI, I will need them back.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.