Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally joined this forum as an owner of a 1973 cl450. Well, two weeks ago I purchased a 1973 cb100 (yes I know its not a twin.) I wanted to let my wife learn on it. It was $50 and is in mint condition with only 2400 miles. Some dude put it on craigslist and I was lucky enough to be the first responder. Anyway, the bike is great except he lost the key! The number off the ignition is H1120. The is also a "2A" stamped on the fork lock. I have ordered two keys since I bought it and neither one fit! Please help if you can. If anyone has a pic of the 1973 cb100 key I would greatly appreciate it. Also, maybe a business that has vintage keys would help too. Thanks guys. Here is a pick of this $50 gem!

ps- the 450 is at powder coat. Military theme, drab green!

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Rob... They were the small "H" blank key ...I have several examples and will get you a pic..... Meanwhile, an alligator jumper from red to black at the ignition switch will allow the engine to start/run....

Sweet little bike!...... Easily worth 10 times what you paid.......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The key that I ordered was stamped h1120, but did not fit. It was only grooved on one side, the other side was flat. By just looking into the ignition I can see that it was to be grooved on both sides. The ignition is marked "H1120." Are there variations of the H1120 key?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Rob.... Go to the hardware store with the switch, and have the pattern on the "H 1120" key you have copied on BOTH sides of any blank key that will fully insert....(IF you are sure it's a two sided key)....Mine is a single cut-side key.......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know $50!! I am going crazy trying to figure out this key thing. Turns out the number on the ignition is correct, but Honda made three different keys with that number. What the hell kind of system is that? I know I could just replace the ignition, or hot wire the thing, but it would be nice just to put the key in and go!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am really excited about it. I only weigh about 175 pounds, but that is enough to almost bottom her out. Do you think some longer, stiffer, shocks might tighten things up? Also, she's been in storage since 1978, what should I do before I try to fire the engine up for the first time since the Carter administration?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Change oil, clean carb, new battery (6N6's are still available).... Fresh gas....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
66Sprint said:
Change oil, clean carb, new battery (6N6's are still available).... Fresh gas....

Can I still get the 6n6-3b battery at Sears or Tractor Supply? Also, any goo lead on a tire place (online) that won't charge me $100 a tire?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts