Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 71 CB450 last week from a young grad student. Good shape but needs some minor stuff. I got it running after reinstalling the shifter seal and replacing the kick starter with the right one. It was leaking oil all over the place and the guy told me he just changed the oil with 5 qts of 10-40! I said that seemed like a lot. I got it home and it was way over filled so I drained out a quart and took it for a ride. Still has a little leak and but I have a set of seals on order. I took it for a ride and the left carb was pissing gas from a stuck float valve, quick fix, pulled the bowl and sprayed it with carb cleaner and worked it around and good as new. I pulled the right bowl just to check it and I noticed a brass jet sitting in the bowl! I had noticed the right spark plug was wet and I thought it was just flooded. Re-installed the jet and fired the back up and WOW. It runs so good now it is unbelievable, pulls strong and idles smooth as silk.

This guy had bought it from another guy a few months ago and I am sure he could not get it running right and just dumped it on craigs list. He just threw a set of cafe bars on it and thought he was cool. If hew would have spent 5 minutes check the spark and gas he would have probably kept it. I would not recommend a 40 year old bike when you don't have a garage or good working knowledge of how to trouble shoot. Any one can learn to work on these but giving up is just not fair to the bike.

Next up, rebuild from front caliper (sticking), new head light bulb (works on high only) replace the starter (only works when you kick it too, ebay $19), replace all the easy seals, get a mirror and get it inspected in PA. Then I am looking at body kits or some other appearance changes over winter or just ride it as is!

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
1971 CB450 said:
replace the starter (only works when you kick it too, ebay $19)
Have you tried jumping the starter directly to the battery? It may be that the solenoid or button switch is faulty, not the starter...Good luck with the 'ol girl, sounds like you scored a real beauty.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I jumped the starter, nothing. I checked for power at the starter when I hit the button and it's good power. The starter will start when I give it a little kick over which I think shows it has dead spots.

It's possible the prior "mechanic" installed the starter gear and chain wrong and is binding I guess. I will check that soon.

I discovered today he installed the front axle backwards causing the disc to rub against the fork leg! Great work!!

Body kit, longer tank and cafe seat, maybe fairing...?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
1971 CB450 said:
I jumped the starter, nothing. I checked for power at the starter when I hit the button and it's good power. The starter will start when I give it a little kick over which I think shows it has dead spots.
Don't be so sure about that - the starter pulls at least 40 amps, probably more.
So if the battery is not up to snuff, you may still see 12 volts at the starter, but maybe not enough amperage.

Try again with a known good battery.......

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Well done on getting a real bargin. I really wish there were some like that over here in the UK but only 1000 or so ever got here.
I had to service my old starter on the K0. It did come apart and was rebuilt after a thorough cleanup. We didnt even have to do anything to the comutator just replaced the bushes and it works fine after a nice respray. The planetary gears were checked out and regreased to but I guess that yours might not have that if its later. Moral careful demounting paying attention to where things go, check out the brushes, plenty of electrical cleaning fluid on the comutator and liberal grease on the bearings Im am sure it will work fine.
Here is a pic just before it went back into the frame without the cover on
[attachment=0:5n3vdwfa]100_3645.jpg[/attachment:5n3vdwfa]

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need to learn how to add a picture

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi There now thats relatively easy, follow down from the message window and find "upload attachment"
Gop to Filename and click Browse.
Go to your pics file and choose which one you want to upload.
Click add the file then click submit

Shimples (but only the brits will get that one)

[Ok then you all should enjoy this look up the advertising campain for the compare the markets.com
http://www.comparethemeerkat.com/home]

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi There now thats relatively easy, follow down from the message window and find "upload attachment"
Gop to Filename and click Browse.
Go to your pics file and choose which one you want to upload.
Click add the file then click submit

Shimples (but only the brits will get that one)

[Ok then you all should enjoy this look up the advertising campain for the compare the markets.com
http://www.comparethemeerkat.com/home]

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Fixed the one pic.. You can observe the format by clicking on the "edit' button on that posting.....
You left click (once) on the Img box above and see this:(spaced so it does not activate here) [ I m g ] ) X [ / I m g] .... Paste the copied URL from the photobucket "direct link" in between the center brackets (where the red X is)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again 66!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So next item. The pet cock was leaking/oozing from the top nut so I drained the tank and pulled it off. Somebody used some kind of tape or pipe dope on the tank threads and there was a flat rubber washer in the top of the petcock that was in shreds. I pulled the bowl and there was no screen! I have a set of Harbor Freight O rings so I found on that fit in the nut and snugged it up. No more leaks. I will have to get a screen, might as well buy the kit for $25, or might as well just spend the $50 and get a new one! The screws that hold the turn key on are buggered up so I think new is the way to go. The tanks seems very clean. Is it safe to run with out a screen??

New clutch push rod and shifter seal today. Dry as a bone under her now!!

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Its certainly possible to go wothout I have a friend that has an old 250 BSA that does not have one fitted.
Modern fuel is pretty good, it does depend on your tank, and to a great extend how good the storage tanks are kept the fuel stations. In my opinion its still better to have them than not.
If you cant get one on the petcock there are small inline filters that can be exchanged when they get crudded up for only small money.
They would be similar to this product which can be found in the UK, but Im sure that they will be available worldwide too.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... zone=PLPz1

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will admit my ignorance, I though these have some kind of tube sock looking filter. It does have the gold/brass screen in there! I must have seen an older one. I would rather have something like you posted but not a lot of room to the right cylinder.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts