Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm Wheaties, you might remember me from posts like "A little help from the multimeter gods"
All Simpson references aside, Just replaced most of my electrical system and fired up the red rooster.
rooster.jpg
Its a 78 CB400 with a 82 CB450sc Nighthawk motor etc..
When I fired it up it was running great till I noticed that I was standing in a pool of gas.
Huh, thats not good I thought. So I'm thinking float valve needles for sure and a new main gasket. I found this excactly on Ebay but was wondering if you guys think a complete rebuild is a better idea. Its running/idling fine the gas just doesn't know when to stop.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
There are a few possible causes for gas leaks like this. Your float valves could be stuck, your floats' level may be out of whack, your floats may be cracked or have pin holes in them and allowing fuel inside (as they no longer float properly), bad gaskets, the overflow tube (on the carb bowls) may be cracked or broken. Check the floats, float valves as well as float level, inspect the overflow tubes, and replace the gaskets as needed.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
With the pet cock off open the drain screws on the carb float bowls, one on each bowl accessed from the left side, and drain the bowls. Tighten the screws. Open the petcock while tapping on the float bowls with the handle of a screwdriver. That may jar the float needle loose if it's sticking and solve this.
If you do this twice and it isn't solved then the bowls minimally have to come off to inspect

·
Registered
624 Posts
With the pet cock off open the drain screws on the carb float bowls, one on each bowl accessed from the left side, and drain the bowls. Tighten the screws. Open the petcock while tapping on the float bowls with the handle of a screwdriver. That may jar the float needle loose if it's sticking and solve this.
If you do this twice and it isn't solved then the bowls minimally have to come off to inspect
This. I've fixed overflow problems using this trick more times than I can remember.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Percussive love and a hair dryer did the trick. So... helmet on, aiming down the driveway, clutch in, shift into first lurch and kill. Thanks for your help in this very short saga. See y'all in another thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts