Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello People,
My first post on this forum, so here goes.
I'm interested in building a scrambler/tracker/bobber and have been looking for a donor bike to start with. The Honda CB350 seems to be a good prospect as it's fast enough for the highway and nice and light, plus it's a Honda so should be relatively indestructible and well made. I've had loads of Hondas over the years and it's my preferred brand.
I'm been watching an auction for a 1972 CB350, it's very corroded and has done 20,000 miles. It was buried in a firewood shed for what looks like many years. All the chrome is pitted and ruined, the seller says the engine is seized (not sure through sitting or failed while running?, I have asked, but no reply yet. I'm not overly worried about that, I have had a look around and it appears that pistons, rings etc are readily available. It's pretty complete and is going cheap (at the moment, the auction has a week to run).
Here's the thing: it has no carbs, they are missing. I've had a look at getting some VM30 carbs online, but they seem like they will cost me more than the bike might.
Has anyone fitted any of the "cheap" Chinese knock off carbs? I've bought quite a few motorcycle bits and pieces from China over the years and some of their stuff is quite good (some is rubbish though).
I'm a qualified engineer and currently work as an OPE sales manager (I look after a dealer network), so I'm comfortable with all aspects of motorcycle repairs, tuning etc. and I have access to dealers special tools, sand blasting, machining etc at mates rates. I will be doing most of the work myself (all part of the joy, some quality man time in the garage).
So, does any one have any idea if a couple of these carbs http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Perf...05.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.261.JzjnuK (when jetted properly) may have some chance of working?
Am I mad to be taking on such a knackered donor bike? 1972-CB350.jpg
Are there any "impossible" to get bits that I might need during an engine rebuild?
Any tips from you guys who have been there and done it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
That bike doesnt look that bad
The Cb350's are/were one of the most produced bikes ever, theres almost nothing you cant get.
That said not that many came into NZ, the smaller cb175 and cb200 are easier to get
There a couple of trade me traders who have more parts than they post
Ash king honda in taranaki have almost everthing but charge through the nose
Econohonda in te aroha have NOS parts
Has it got plates? It will make it easier to re register
Nice to have another kiwi onboard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I think it does have a plate, but I'm almost certain that it will be de-registered. That said, I've re-registered 3 bikes in the last year or so, so I know how to do the brake declaration and all that other Land Transport stuff. I deal with a few Honda dealers (the business I work for is a sister company to Blue Wing Honda) so I might stop in at Ash King Honda (not someone I currently deal with) on my way to New Plymouth tomorrow and see what they have.
I'm slightly concerned about the seized motor, and the fact that the seller bought it as a project bike and now wants to move it on. Perhaps it is properly munted and requires major surgery.
What does the abbreviation NOS stand for?
Any words of wisdom about the aliexpress chinese carb?
Thanks again for the welcome.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good one to me. ( remember NOS rubber parts are as old as the bike).

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
that looks better than half the bikes I buy to restore.
my theory is that unless it's aesthetically perfect and does't need anything other than mechanical stuff then get the least expensive bike you can find.

paint, sandblasting, powdercoating costs the same regardless of how pretty it is to start. the ideal restoration candidate I look for is one that looks terrible, is dirt cheap but is not damaged or rotted out.

Reactions: Shawn fetter

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Andrew,
Look for a used pr. of stock Keihin #722A carbs.(those are the ones that come on your bike) that need work and then rebuild them yourself to save a few $;make sure your rubber intake manifolds are still good.
Would be nice if the seller includes the gold sidecovers and oem stock Honda air filter boxes.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just for perspective; this is worth restoring; : image.png
This was what it looked like;
image.png
And now:
image.jpeg
So yes go ahead. You will learn lots; spend lots, and have lots of fun! At the end you'll have a great motorcycle to ride on.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Simply want to go on record as saying "munted" is my new favorite word.

Good advice so far. A seized engine is going to require a rebuild, so be ready for that (or look for something without a seized engine if you're not). Dunno about NZ, but here in the States you can get chrome bits replated if need be, but it varies state to state in terms of availability and expense (related to environmental standards, usually -- here in AZ it's cheap and easily available). Advice to look for OEM Honda carbs is spot on -- I wouldn't rely on knock offs. Parts are pretty available for those bikes (although doesn't sound like they were as common in NZ so you might be paying int'l shipping).

There are likely easier projects that will require more money up front but less moving along, but that's obviously entirely up to you... good luck!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Welcome to HondaTwins. Looks like a good starting point. The 350 is a good bike. I ran a 360T back in the day. I cannot help with the carb. They look nice. My concern would be getting them properly tuned. They will need to be mounted to the engine and a proper balanced air filter system be devised. Balancing the air supply is critical and there are a few people on this site who have been able to make pods work, but I would argue not as good as the stock air system.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Simply want to go on record as saying "munted" is my new favorite word.
Munted is used to describe the state of a thing, as in I put my finger in the fan and munted it,
Or i drunk a quart of whiskey and was completely munted
You use Munter to describe a person
As in that munter drunk a quart of whiskey, and put his finger in a fan

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
First off - welcome to the board - great avatar pic.

Second the bike looks to be fairly rebuildable. Don't let the patina scare you off like most people. There are great threads here that will help you get that bike sorted. Heck if I can take this -
WP_20150721_001.jpg

and turn it into this -
WP_20160714_019.jpg

anyone can do it...

Reactions: andrewwitham

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I've decided to bid on the auction for the bike up to a fairly large amount of money, hopefully I am successful in buying the bike. I'll know if I am the proud new owner on Sunday. Yours is coming along nicely!

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Good luck with it! Here's another before/after/after trio of pictures. This one sat in an outdoor shed for 20 years. It took about 200 hours work and $1000 to get it to the condition in the last pic. I first "restored" it as the cafe racer it was and rode it a year that way, and then recently turned it back into the scrambler it originally was. Did it all myself, and founds lots of good used parts on eBay by being patient. It's been a fun journey...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! Thanks for that, very encouraging. I'm enthused about beginning my project, just need to get my hands on the bike now!

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know it's been ages, but I didn't end up getting a twin to start with, that CB350 went for heaps of money. I did end up with a CG125 (yes, I 'm sorry it's not a twin so technically shouldn't be on here) but I thought you guys might like a look at before and after photo's. Andrews-CG125-before.jpg IMG_2237.jpg
I have just started on a CB125T though :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts