Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the mensches on line: Has anyone used a SSR or a SSC in lieu of the factory starter relay?

Mine pooped out and I was wanting to replace it with lighter / upgraded technology. I have a OEM spare so it's not like I'm parked, just wondering if I'm going to be the first to try this out.

J

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Finding a transistor that can handle that amount of power would not be easy nor cheap. IIRC the starter motor will draw upwards to 100 Amps or more.

Why complicate things even more when you don't need to? A replacement solenoid is cheap and works well and is readily available.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
76twin, thanks! but hey, it's not new, different (and complex) and therefore cool!

Kidding aside, I was looking at an automotive style rated for 12V / 200A - will keep y'all posted. Electrically, the electromagnetic type has its problems, age being one of them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I do not believe it is worth the conversion. Plus the starter gets .6 to .8 volts less voltage due to the solid-state voltage drop. A solenoid has zero voltage drop and are reliable. Replacement is cheap too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts