Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in '85 Honda changed the cylinder head and valve cover to have a crank vent going into an evap canister.Can I just bolt and earlier head in its place or is there something more going on?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Did the head change or just the valve cover?
I would think the heads using the same piston dome/oiling are interchangeable.
Jim cam confirm.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head changed too. The head has two ports that stick up into the valve cover. I'd post a pic but I've not taken pics of it and can't find one on google.

Two weeks ago I re torqued my head and then set the valve adjustment. I opened the valve cover a couple days later to check torque and valve lash and found 3 smashed intake valve stems. I've got a used head with valves and springs installed. Is there any reason I can't take the cam, cam holders and followers from the head with the smashed valves, bolt 'em onto the earlier head and mount that on the '85 engine?

Really I'm just looking for a band-aid fix to get it running. After I found the smashed valve stems I went out and bought a 1999 Suzuki GS500 to commute to work on because I knew I couldn't repair it over night. I've got a top end gasket kit on the way to replace the head gasket. The base gasket should be fine if I don't remove the cylinders right?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to my dealers website the 450 head, cylinder and pistons carried the same part numbers from 82-86.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Yes, you can use the early top end on the later engine. The 1985 California engine had air injection for emission purposes, controlled by a reed valve ass'y.
When you look at the application guide for a part number you see the A and sometimes C letters following. A means ALL 50 states unless there's a C which means California. If there's a C that means it's specific to California and any states using CA emission standards.
Assemblies where 12200-MC0-000 is used

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts