Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching around for "felt' but it came up with way too much! This is not a "what is best carb cleaner" war.

What do you guys soak in so you dont hurt the throttle shaft felt seals? Or should I just replace them?
Carbs were not that bad at all. Floats stuck hard from ethanol gum so I am sure soaking the body is a good idea?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm sure someone with more experience than I will be along shortly with some wisdom to share.
But from my personal experience, I have had good results with Krud Kutter in an ultrasonic bath. It is a very mild cleaner/solvent, and is 100% biodegradable. Usually found in stores like PepBoys and AutoZone.
I can't say with certainty that it is the ideal solution for soaking a carb with the throttle assembly intact, but I would seriously doubt that it would harm the felt seals in any way. Although you would probably have to remove them anyway to blot them dry after the soak.

I know that there is a technique using a shop-vac connected to the carb throat, and spraying light oil on the seals while covering the open end of the venturi with your hand. This pulls the oil into the seals while they are still in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have some kerosene. I may try that first. I did read about the shop vac trick, I will give that a shot too. Thanks.
I read about vinager, then someone else wills say it ate their carbs. Very difficult to get consistent info sometimes!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also have some kerosene. I may try that first. I did read about the shop vac trick, I will give that a shot too. Thanks.
I read about vinager, then someone else wills say it ate their carbs. Very difficult to get consistent info sometimes!
Vinegar can be tricky. I think it works best diluted with water, but it can be more aggressive on soft metals like aluminum than one might think. I used the vinegar/salt technique to de-rust the inside of my gas tank at the beginning of my CL350 build. I was skeptical about how well it would work, and I was blown away with the results. Pretty incredible what a mild acid solution can do.

I think you are correct to try kerosene first. I have been using white kerosene (lantern/heater fuel, available at hardware stores) for many years as a degreaser and parts cleaner with great success. You can even strain the used kerosene through a paper coffee filter into a container and reuse it many times for parts cleaning purposes.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If you have access to a ultrasonic cleaner that would be best. If not, the carburetors can be cleaned with an aerosol type cleaner or a dip type cleaner. I would stick with a commercial product. Either dip or ultrasonic you will still need to ensure all of the internal passageways are clear, either by blowing with compressed air or by shooting aerosol cleaner through the internal passageways. I made new seals for my 450. It is documented in post #76 of the rebuild thread Jim's CB450K5. I'm a believer in oiling the felt seals. I do the shop vacuum method. Starting with the assembled carburetor, use duct tape to seal the carburetor to the vacuum hose, turn it on, put your hand over the other end of the carburetor and start shooting white lithium grease into the felt seal area. I do this every time I adjust the valves.
The other places that can leak air are the rubber mounting boots and the pilot air screw not being correctly assembled. I would buy new mounting boots as a course of restoration, just to eliminate the possibility of leaks. Here is a good discussion about felt seals: Help - CL350 Throttle Shaft Seals.
What model bike are you working on? If you get to a point where you want to replace your seals, I might be able to make you a set. Please send me a PM with your details.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I bought some felt samples to do the carbs on my 400A . If you take the shafts out PM me with your address and I will send you a piece. No charge.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts