Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over there in France and I see this strange motorcycle with two front wheels ! No it was not a Can-Am. Turns out Yamaha is making this crazy three wheeler called a Niken. Watched a couple of vids about it on the you tube. Maybe this is old news to everyone but me, but I thought I'd mention it. Like all new motorcycles, I'm sure it's impossible for the average person to work on and has too many computers in it. Stupid expensive, too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Everything is super expensive nowadays. I would like to own one of those new Super Cubs for little getting around and maybe for the wife, but at 4000. No.

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
^^^same as the reborn Z-50, now 125cc... so cool looking, but at around $4000 it's the same story. I watch car commercials (notice how the only things they show related to price are the possible payments/interest rate or the amount off the full sticker price?) and I wonder... who can actually afford one? Everybody must be in the recurring lease program now, since the lease payment is cheaper but you can't break the cycle or you have nothing.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
With all these “trikes”.. I used to say. “WHY”... do people REALY have that much trouble with 2 wheels..then I thought about people with disabilities that can no longer or never could handle a 2 wheel motorcycle and want to experience life to its fullest..
I say “bravo”... take advantage of today’s technology to experience a new level in life...

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
With all these “trikes”.. I used to say. “WHY”... do people REALY have that much trouble with 2 wheels..then I thought about people with disabilities that can no longer or never could handle a 2 wheel motorcycle and want to experience life to its fullest..
I say “bravo”... take advantage of today’s technology to experience a new level in life...
I had a buddy 30+ years ago who was a Harley guy through and through, but worked at a Honda shop (I mean, he totally lived and looked the H-D part - chain drive wallet, Buck knife always on his belt, ABATE stickers everywhere). He got hit in the side on his way home from work one day and lost one of his lower legs... kept his Harley and eventually got back to work, switched to the parts department, picked up a sidecar for his bike and rode for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
There's a few Nikens around here, I saw one at the filling station a few weeks back.

They aren't really designed for disabled folks, they lean over just like a conventional bike, twin front forks on a sort of parallelogram arrangement, purely mechanical, no computers involved. Mechanism can be locked at standstill, so you can be feet up in traffic. Bike is narrow enough to filter in traffic, aka lane splitting on your side of the pond.

The supposed reason for its existence is front end grip, supposed to be very difficult to fall off by loosing the front in slippery conditions.

No, I can't see the point either.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So while we're on the subject of "why ?"... Some of you may have wondered why my avatar is an Amish buggy. Or maybe I explained already and forgot. Forgive me if I'm repeating my stories. It happens. This was one of those "bought by accident" at auction thingy's.
I was there for the rock crusher that went way too high. I was also keeping an eye on a gravity grain wagon for a buddy who couldn't attend. Towards the end I also had an eye on a three point PTO cutoff saw. But this buggy was going to go rediculously cheap, ($75), so I raised my hand and got it for a Ben. So it's not the first, and probably won't be the last time I've done this. I thought I might flip it (they sell for more as yard ornaments). But then I got to thinking....."Horseless E-buggy" ! Totally doable, solar panels on top for charging the batts. These things are light weight. Now you might ask, why not just get a horse ? I'd rather tinker with motors, belts and such. Horses got minds of their own, and often resent being told what to do and where to go. Been there, done that. But this is one of those bucket list back burner projects that won't get done any time soon, if ever. Just a pipe dream....but doable. Why ? Why not I say !

·
Registered
790 Posts
Lane splitting? This side of the pond??? We don't even have it in Canadia, too many angry city drivers and way too much draconian police force influence for that. Them motorcyclers can wait their dang turns. I'm sure the story is similar across much of North America.

Cool idea about the e-buggy, although I'm guessing a horse will recharge faster than the batteries if solar is the only input :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Niken was designed for more rider security in turns and superior braking. It does not feature a locking mechanism on the articulated front suspension like the Piaggio scooters and will fall over when stopped just like a two wheeler if you don't put a foot down.The Tour de France chose it this year to provide an extra bit of safety in the twisty stages. We'll see if they continue to use them in the future or if it's a passing gimick.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
As some of you know I no longer ride due to health problems but am still wrenching. Iv been looking at the Can Am Ryker. Auto with reverse and around $8500.00. I have all the parts for the 400a build and am collecting pieces for a maybe side car build. Will see.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
As some of you know I no longer ride due to health problems but am still wrenching. Iv been looking at the Can Am Ryker. Auto with reverse and around $8500.00. I have all the parts for the 400a build and am collecting pieces for a maybe side car build. Will see.

Bill
I, for one, hope you get to do one or the other Bill... as long as you can ride somehow. Not nearly as much fun just wrenching

·
Registered
12 Posts

Bill
i hope you get back on a bike too somehow

there was a guy in my town that owned a motorcycle shop , yrs back he was in a major wreck in a ditch for hours when someone ran him off the road one night and someone found him in the morning ,he was paralyzed legs down but built a 3 wheel motorcycle,a kz900 I think was his first one ,that had a flat track style side car that he drove his wheelchair up on and sat on the right side in his chair beside the bike with the handlebars in front of him .
first time I saw him I saw left side of the bike and it looked like a bike going down the road with no one riding it!
it was awesome to see him still riding, and wrenching, later he went on to have the Bonneville salt flat speed records for the Honda 454 streamliner I believe
Never Give Up!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Ah yes, you are right, no locking mechanism. And it only has a side stand ?

https://drivetribe.com/p/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-eEr_NZWnTf2daMQqCqLBsQ?iid=OshsxnmEQIijb-rS0xdcpg

Lane splitting not allowed ? Life must be very dull for your bikers, can't imagine sitting in a queue of stationary traffic in the boiling heat. It's half the joy of urban motorcycling, making your way to the head of the queue at the lights and blasting off as they change. You do get the occasional moron in a car, but the majority of drivers keep an eye on the rear view mirror and make way for filtering bikes. A wave from the biker as you pass works wonders.

Riding past the queue at the filling station, straight to the vacant pump that the cars can't get to because the one behind is blocking it. Happy days ….

Confession time. 19 years ago, on my way home from a work meeting over at Kidderminster hospital, I was riding on a urban dual carriageway, sticking to the 30 limit, when I was cut off by a boy racer in a car, going well over the limit, really shook me up. A little way down the road, I caught up with him stuck in a traffic queue, and as I filtered past I smashed his door mirror off. Much impotent blowing of horn as I carried on my way. We tend not to have guns over here …..

And yes, I know, I shouldn't have done it. Satisfying at the time though.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Thanks Tom and toomanytoys. When Im busy it keeps the mind off other things but with the door up on the shop and you hear the bikes on the road you think--------

Bill

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
And yes, I know, I shouldn't have done it. Satisfying at the time though.
No lane splitting allowed here in Florida either, but it doesn't mean it never happens - and for me, it's more the way and when they do it, blowing by between cars on an open highway at speed, loud exhaust blasting your ears as they go by out of nowhere because they're running 40 to 50 mph over the limit while doing it. Nothing polite about it, and no wave either.

As for what you did Richard - perfect timing in the most appropriate of situations... I'd have done it too.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Yes, there is a big difference between filtering through stationary or slow moving traffic, and 'lane splitting'.

blowing by between cars on an open highway at speed, loud exhaust blasting your ears as they go by out of nowhere because they're running 40 to 50 mph over the limit while doing it
That would get an instant driving ban and a hefty fine over here, assuming that there was a traffic policeman to see it happen. Problem is, UK police force has been so reduced by budget constraints that the dangerous driving goes unchecked, whilst minor infractions get penalised, speed cameras, pausing in box junctions, parking for too long in same spot, all managed by jobsworth civilian contractors.

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
That would get an instant driving ban and a hefty fine over here, assuming that there was a traffic policeman to see it happen. Problem is, UK police force has been so reduced by budget constraints that the dangerous driving goes unchecked, whilst minor infractions get penalised, speed cameras, pausing in box junctions, parking for too long in same spot, all managed by jobsworth civilian contractors.
That's part of our problem over here, Richard - just as in the UK, not enough police and too little budget money, and of course if the offender is seen and going that much faster than the police at the time, they aren't allowed to give chase (whether or not they'd catch them anyway) as it is deemed too dangerous. Yes, it's easier to deal with the "low hanging fruit" of minor offenses. Apparently it's becoming a global issue, and respect for the laws and the police is at an all time low... just an example of how wonderful it is here in lovely New York City. Never going to catch me there in any condition

https://www.yahoo.com/news/outrage-nypd-officers-drenched-water-105716125.html

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Just watched the video, that's appalling behaviour.

They wouldn't have got away with that with 'Dirty Harry'.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts