Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened. I knew I had overtorqued the unshouldered bolt the other day, so I came into the shop this morning to redo it, undid the bolt and went to retorque it to 12 ft/lbs and it snapped with what felt like no force at all. I've read the bolts are no longer in production and hard to find, but since it's just a bolt (without the shoulder) could I replace it with a bolt that matches specs from McMaster? Any tips on extracting the shaft?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
12 Ft lbs? No wonder it snapped. 6mm bolts only torque to 7 ft lbs. As long as it is not a shouldered bolt you can use any bolt. Your local hardware store should have them.
TOOLS

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I read on here. Seemed like too much but did it to do it.

On a side note, should red locktite be used? I don't like the idea of supergluing a bolt that needs to be removed in order to go down into the engine, and in this case I'm especially glad I didn't cos I feel like getting the shaft of the bolt out would've been near impossible.

·
Registered
314 Posts
12 Ft lbs? No wonder it snapped. 6mm bolts only torque to 7 ft lbs. As long as it is not a shouldered bolt you can use any bolt. Your local hardware store should have them.
TOOLS
This is true for standard 8.8 bolts but these are 12.9 and specs say they should be tightened to 12-15 Ft lbs. 12 lubed. Also see the sticky topic in this section.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've been searching but haven't found complete confirmation and cant find my pitch finder: are the cam sprockets bolts M6x1.0? Most of the m6 bolts in the bike are that, would make sense if the thread is coarser than a m6x1.25. Also what length are they supposed to be?

·
Registered
314 Posts
They are standard M6 metric bolts so the pitch is 1.0. The length is not that critical because you can just cut off the rest. 20mm is already too long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts